Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
COP22: Key Issues, Blogs, and Upcoming Webcasts
Check out this update from Climate Generation as we anticipate COP22, to take place November 7-18 in Marrakech, Morocco. Below is email distributed by Climate Generation.
Your Window Into Marrakech: Looking Ahead to COP22
Our intergenerational delegation shares what they’re looking forward to at COP22, and the significance of these negotiations for them.
The stage is now set for COP22 to take place from November 7-18 in Marrakech, Morocco. Today, the Paris Agreement forged at COP21 officially enters into force – one month after it crossed the ratification threshold of at least 55 countries representing 55% of global emissions signing on. COP22 will be a critical conference for countries to continue the the work of securing a stable, resilient climate future, and it now represents the first opportunity to turn the words and pledges of the Paris Agreement into action. Don’t miss a beat – sign up for our updates here!
A few key issues and challenges to look out for in Marrakech include:
- Will countries take steps towards increasing the ambition of their emissions reduction pledges?
- What mechanisms will be established to ensure that countries are sharing the effort equitably?
- At the negotiations, governments are expected to launch ambitious new efforts to support the clean energy transition, through funding, new projects, and other initiatives.
- Countries will need to create a clearer roadmap for climate financing, to ensure that they can meet the $100 billion a year pledged by 2020 to support developing countries.
- What will the way forward towards implementing the Paris Agreement look like? Countries will have to come to consensus on rules and processes to guide that path.
Climate Generation Delegation Blogs
Craig Johnson — COP22 As A Unique Educational Opportunity
Isabel Watson — Youth Voices at COP22
Siiri Bigalke — Exploring Morocco Pre-COP22
Read why our Director of Education thinks sending educators and youth to COP22 is important!
You can also check out the blogs from the School of Environmental Studies students attending COP22 in Marrakech at the link above!
Mark your calendar for the COP22 webcasts on November 8 and 10 at 12pm CST!
Click here to join the November 8 webinar at noon to hear Johanna talk about the first 2 days in Marrakech.
Click here to join the November 10 webinar at noon to hear our full delegation chat about COP22 4 days in.
Sign up for our special COP22 updates – this is the only way you will receive our emails during the conference, Nov. 7-18!
Support the innovative climate change education and youth programming we offer to thousands of youth and educators annually, and ensure we have strong climate and energy policy at all scales. Thanks to you, every year our programs extend and deepen their impact. Click here to donate.