Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
4-H Trip Leader/Teen Leadership Instructor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, May 20, 2017, 12:15pm
- Co-lead a two-week or three-week, outdoor leadership program for teenagers (co-ed, max. 10/session) including one or three 4 to 12-day overnight backpacking and canoeing trips each session, NOTE: includes weekend work.
- Plan lessons/schedules and implement leadership curriculum; teach a variety of skills: listening, communication, team-building, low-impact camping, conflict resolution, canoeing, backpacking, map and compass, general ecology, basic first aid, and knot tying; work with camp cook to order food for trips; prepare food for trips; coordinate logistical support; food/equipment deliveries, emergency support, etc.
- Role model healthy living, positive energy, diversity, and clear communication; engage actively with campers during lessons, recreation and meal times.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of campers at all times; facilitate group conflicts and strive to encourage problem solving and decision making; live-in and supervise cabin of up to 6 program participants of same gender.
- Drive 8-12 passenger vans (sometimes with canoe trailer) to program sites with participants and other staff
- Role model good stewardship for the environment, and support our efforts by participating in the garden, composting, and sustainable practices throughout all aspects of your role.
- Actively participate in community chores, meal service, and miscellaneous maintenance duties as required
- Must demonstrate responsible and safe decision making skills in all aspects of outdoor camp programming.
- Related experience working with teenagers and teaching in the outdoors.
- Substantial camping/backpacking/canoeing experience.
- Wilderness First Aid & CPR and lifeguard certification (able to train)
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain with a 30+lbs. pack for 8-10 miles/day and ability to assist in carrying canoes (85 lb.) with others.
- Valid Driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Preferred: Wilderness First Responder, Small Craft Water Safety Certification.
Leadership One: River Explorers is for youth aged 14-16, it is a 2-week program, running 3-4 times during the summer
Leadership Two: Mountains to Sea is for youth aged 15-17, it is a 3-week program, running 2 times during the summer, requires strong canoeing skills
Dates and Compensation:
$275/week (pre-tax); 2.5 weeks of paid training included; room and board provided
June 8-August 19, 2017
Position Start Date:
Thursday, June 8, 2017
How to Apply:
Please mail/fax/email cover letter, resume, and references to: Jessica Decke, Tanglewood Director, 1 Tanglewood Road, Lincolnville, ME 04849. Fax: 207-789-5220. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online at: extension.umaine.edu/Tanglewood/employment/
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer
$235/week (pre-tax); 10-week appointment; room and board provided; 2 weeks paid staff training included. June 12-August 20, 2016.