Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Adult and Family Education Assistant Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, October 24, 2016, 8:15pm
Website:Chincoteague Bay Field Station
Adult and Family Education Assistant Coordinator
Wallops Island, VA
Adult and Family Assistant Education Coordinator
Chincoteague Bay Field Station
Wallops Island, VA
Application Due Oct 24th, 2016
Interviews Begin Early November
Jan 2nd 2017 to Dec 2018
- Competitive salary: $700/bi-weekly
- On-station staff housing provided: furnished 800 sq. ft. two bedroom apt, one bathroom, kitchen and living room, central heat and A/C, shared with max. one roommate.
- On-station meals when programs in session– vegetarian friendly
- Free laundry facility attached to housing
- Opportunities for continued professional development and networking
Chincoteague Bay Field Station:
Chincoteague Bay Field Station is the residential field station of the Marine Science Consortium. We are located near a wealth of ecologically significant and environmentally rich habitats, such as productive saltmarshes, pristine barrier island beaches, peaceful cypress swamps, and sheltering maritime forests. The Chincoteague Bay Field Station provides outstanding multi-disciplinary, educational and research opportunities that celebrate the rich natural, cultural, economic, and technological resources of the mid-Atlantic Coastal region through field-based and hands-on learning, often in affiliation with multiple public and private partners. To accomplish this mission, the Field Station provides a unique set of educational and research experiences; expand research collaborations among member universities, NASA Wallops Flight Facility, US Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service, and other public and private partners; expand and enhance programs for pre-college, university, and adult learners.
Adult and Family Education Assistant Coordinator Position Description:
Assistant Adult and Family Education Coordinator will lead family and adult groups of all ages and teach a diverse array of topics that highlight the dynamic ecosystems of a barrier island. Adult and Family activities are varied and may include marine education, kayaking and canoeing trips, cycling tours, nature hikes, photography, adult craft, home school programs, historical tours, boat trips, campfires, science labs, skit nights, marine organism collection, water testing and sampling, island tours, etc. This position also includes a large amount of indoor administrative tasks particularly at certain points during the season. The AAFEC will also achieve valuable supervisory experience as they help to manage our summer high school intern and volunteer programs. This position reports to the Adult and Family Education Coordinator.
CBFS is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages minority applicants.
- Customer Service for program participants
- Assist the Adult and Family Education Coordinator in leading Adult and Family Programs
- Assist with planning and implementation of age appropriate program experiences with a variety of activities.
- Lead the participants through all daily activities, and help with additional tasks.
- Leading outdoor programs such as kayaking and cycling
- Alertly and actively interact with and supervise participants, giving them undivided attention.
- Preparation of pre-program materials and mailings
- Office work
- Assist in the coordination of program locations, movement/transportation of program participants.
- Set- up, take down, cleaning and organizing program areas
- Assist with Staff Hiring
- Assist with Management of Summer Internship Program
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Teaching experience and/or leadership experience in informal education or camps
- Experience teaching multiple age groups, from young learners to adults of all ages
- Experience with summer camps and/or outdoor adventure programs
- Previous experience working on boats preferred but not necessary
- Would prefer a degree in Education, Outdoor Recreation, Marine Biology, Environmental Sciences or other relevant fields.
- Kayaking, biking and tour group experience a plus!
- Minimum BA or BS Degree
- Comfortable working long hours outdoors and on boats
- Ability to connect with, encourage, and direct participants of all ages.
- Must be energetic, enthusiastic and motivational.
- Ability to think fast, make decisions and enforce rules.
- Must enjoy contact with people, putting into action the belief that first impressions are important with every personal contact.
- Valid driver’s license with 2 or fewer moving violations in the past 2 years and no DUI or DWI charges
- Must have a friendly and creative personality.
- Must be willing to obtain a VA Commercial Driver’s License
- Ability to submit record to NASA in order to obtain security clearance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Position Start Date:
Monday, January 2, 2017
How to Apply:
How to Apply
Please complete the Assistant Adult and Family Education Coordinator Application. This form is a required portion of the Assistant Adult and Family Education Coordinator application process. Attach a Cover Letter, Resume, to the application form.
Make sure you have the following ready to go.
Names and contact information for 3 professional or academic references
Name and contact information for 1 peer reference
Up-to-date resume and cover letter
Well-thought out and succinct answers to this year's short answer questions
Short answer questions (space to answer given on p. 8 of the application form). Please prepare an answer that is 150 words or less.
What do you hope to gain professionally and personally from a position at the Chincoteague Bay Field Station?
What inspired you to become involved in the field(s) of environmental education and/or marine science?
Talk about your experiences being in a leadership role (professional, academic, camps, sports, clubs, organizations, etc.).
Or email application form, cover Letter, and resume to
Parker McMullen Bushman at email@example.com
Or send a hard copy to
Adult and Family Assistant Education Coordinator Application
ATTN: C. Parker McMullen Bushman
34001 Mill Dam Road
Wallops Island, VA 23337
Application Deadline: October 24, 2016
Tentative position start date: Jan 2nd, 2017
• Competitive salary: $700/bi-weekly
• On-station staff housing provided: furnished 800 sq. ft. two bedroom apt, one bathroom, kitchen and living room, central heat and A/C, shared with max. one roommate.
• On-station meals when programs in session– vegetarian friendly
• Free laundry facility attached to housing
• Opportunities for continued professional development and networking
C. Parker McMullen Bushman