Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
AmeriCorps Discovery Fellow
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Thursday, September 1, 2016, 3:30pm
Website:Ocean Discovery Institute
- Provide direct hands-on instruction, teaching STEM and conservation concepts in the classroom and field, to elementary and middle school students from an underserved community up to 30 hours a week.
- Assist with program evaluation and development.
- Assist in program coordination such as supply management, curriculum development, student management, student support, scheduling, and volunteer management.
- Assist in developing program management systems (e.g., create protocols, spreadsheets).
- Engage volunteers in order to generate ideas, facilitate needed activities, and strengthen relationships.
- Because of the organization’s size and nature, other duties may be required on ad hoc basis (e.g. special event support).
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Pass a fingerprinting / background check.
- Have reliable transportation, valid Driver’s License, vehicle insurance, and clean driving record.
- Passion for, commitment to, and understanding of AmeriCorps mission and volunteer service.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the community we serve, such as:
- Graduating from our programs,
- Living in the community of City Heights, or
- Living in or from a community similar to City Heights.
- Science education experience, with a strong understanding of the scientific/research process.
- Ability to work as part of team in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- Interested in gaining science teaching and communication experience for future career path.
- Fluent in Spanish; proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Health conscious and excellent physical condition to work in outdoor and remote locations.
- Strong swimming ability.
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, September 6, 2016
How to Apply:
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume, cover letter, and 2-3 professional references to Jobs@OceanDI.org
- Each service contract includes the following benefits as set by AmeriCorps:
- Living Allowance.
- Approximately $12,530 per year (subject to change) paid on a bi-weekly basis.
- Subject to all applicable federal, state and local income taxes.
- Segal Educational Award.
- Approximately $5,730 for “Full-Year” (1700 hrs) upon completion of each service contract.
- Hours are a minimum for eligibility, full completion of the service year is required.
- Health Insurance.
- Potential for Student Loan Deferment.
- To learn more about AmeriCorps and the benefits highlighted above please visit: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps or contact site director, Roger Briceno, Notre Dame Mission Volunteers AmeriCorps @ firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 753-3210.
- Ocean Discovery Benefits and Provisions
- 1-2 weeks of time off (Dec. & Aug.).
- Annual uniform and dress code stipend.
- Dental insurance.
- Possibility of 1-3 weeks paid hourly work (minimum wage) outside of existing role at the end of a service year. Dates worked vary per member and set based on organizational needs.