Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
AmeriCorps Position: Education & Outreach Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, July 1, 2017, 11:00pm
The Slater Museum of Natural History’s mission is to provide a resource for environmental, STEM, and natural history education, research, and inspiration for local and international communities. The Slater Museum of Natural History is located on the University of Puget Sound campus in Tacoma, Washington.
The AmeriCorps member will serve as our Education and Outreach Coordinator. The member is the primary facilitator of our specimen-based “Nature in the Classroom” program (NIC). Main duties include teaching NIC lessons in schools, publicizing the program, and facilitating the use of NIC materials by local educators. The AmeriCorps member will also be involved in training teachers in NIC, coordinating and conducting behind-the-scenes tours of the museum, recruiting and training volunteer docents who assist with tours, and staffing the museum during open hours. Opportunities for practical museum experience include exhibit development, training in specimen preparation, and interaction with curatorial staff.
The AmeriCorps member’s tasks will include teaching K-12 environmental science and natural history lessons; training and supporting teachers using museum programs; scheduling and supporting volunteers for museum tours and events; developing museum exhibits; promoting museum resources; and maintaining records of museum outreach.
- Passion for natural history and environmental education
- Teaching experience or experience working with children in educational setting
- Enthusiasm for museum collections
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and coordinate museum schedules
- Excellent document preparation, reporting, and record-keeping skills
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- College degree, with strong background in biology or environmental sciences
- Must have a valid driver’s license
How to Apply:
Application deadline is July 1st or until position is filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning in early June. All applicants must complete the online AmeriCorps application process at the following link: