Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
AMI Urban Farm Manager
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The farm hosts community work days, teacher trainings, as well as workshops for our surrounding communities. The incumbent will plan and carry out the continued development of the farm site based on the goals of the project, and work closely with the VSDB horticulture teaching staff to carry out garden-based education curriculum at the farm. The Urban Farm Manager is responsible for the organic, sustainable management of all operational aspects of farm production including: plant propagation, cultivation, succession planting, pest and nutrient management, harvesting, processing, distribution, quality and quantity control for all vegetative plantings, both perennial and annual.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ TASKS:
- Responsible for the organic, sustainable management of all operational aspects of the AMI Urban Farm production including: plant propagation, cultivation, succession planting, pest and nutrient management, harvesting, processing, distribution, quality and quantity control for all vegetative plantings, both perennial and annual.
- Plan and carry out the continued development of the farm site based on the goals of the project, the MOA between AMI and VSDB.
- Plan and carry out special events, workshops, and community work days on the farm
- Manage and mentor farm interns and volunteers
- Work with VSDB horticulture teachers to carry out garden-based education on the farm
- Develop, establish and maintain the nourishment (fertility) and health of the soil food web of the gardens to promote and sustain vitality in the food we produce.
- Organize distribution of produce sales to VSDB cafeteria, area schools, restaurants and markets
- Work with AMI Administrative Manager to report sales, make deposits and sales tax reporting
- Responsible for garden tools and equipment storage and maintenance; keeping inventory and maintenance records
- Regular garden set up and maintenance,
- Responsible for maintaining a high standard of cleanliness, neatness and order at the AMI Urban Farm at VSDB.
- Establish best practices and processes for AMI Farm record keeping systems
- Manage budget for Farm expenditures, including ordering, purchasing, and maintaining records
- Meet regularly with AMI staff team, to review and plan.
- Perform administrative tasks essential to the smooth operation of the operational farm
- Plan, coordinate and participate as an AMI ambassador in public visits and educational outreach events as needed, including Educator workshops for curriculum development
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent amount of training and/or work experience required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in organic vegetable production and management, post-handling, and processing for sale and storage
- Demonstrated understanding and application of Permaculture principles and ethics; Permaculture Design Certificate preferred
- Knowledge and experience with perennial fruits, berries, medicinal herbs, perennial systems, and no till farming,
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage interns/volunteers/students on the farm including task prioritization, demonstration, and delegation
- Ability to operate a BCS walk-behind tractor and related implements
- Knowledge of and commitment to building sustainable food systems
- Exceptional multi-tasking, organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team; ability to work closely and communicatively with AMI Staff
- Working knowledge of organic practices including nutrient management, pest and disease management, weed management, and post-harvest processing and storage
- Strong understanding of organic soil management including composting, mulching, cover cropping, and low/no-till techniques
- Strong interest in teaching and ability to make hands-on gardening concepts accessible to children
- Interest in growing and managing native wildlife habitat plantings
- Computer proficiency, including Excel, Microsoft Office
- Demonstrates high level of personal and ethical standards
- Ability to understand, interpret and enforce policies in an accurate and equitable manner.
- Ability to complete and maintain applicable training and certifications as necessary
- Mentorship and/or teaching experience
- Fluency in Sign Language is a plus.
- Ability to work with interns, colleagues, and guests in a professional, timely, fair, and confidential manner
This is a full-time position, available immediately and running through December 15, 2017. Salary range is $30K -$34K. Benefits package includes: farm-grown food share, workers’ compensation coverage, and earned vacation/sick leave, plus holidays. This position requires occasional weekend and evening work.
How to Apply:
Please visit AMI's website at http://www.alleghenymountaininstitute.org/ to view the complete Urban Farm Manager position description, download the AMI application form, and follow instructions to apply.
When applying, please email a single compiled .pdf file that includes a cover letter, resume, AMI Application Form, and at least 3 professional references to: email@example.com.
Allegheny Mountain Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin, disability, political affiliation, or marital status. AMI is an equal opportunity employer.