Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Associate Teacher - Nature-based Preschool
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, April 15, 2017, 11:45pm
The Little Hawks Discovery Preschool is a nature-based preschool operated by the Outdoor Discovery Center Macatawa Greenway (ODCMG). The ODCMG a nonprofit organization focused on educating children and families about our natural resources, providing educational programing throughout West Michigan. The ODCMG, which has been in existence for nearly 15 years, manages over 500 acres of property. The preschool is located on the ODC Nature Preserve. The Little Hawks Discovery Preschool provides preschool opportunities for children aged 3-5, building academic skills within a unique natural environment with an emphasis on nature based inquiry and outdoor exploration.
The Associate Teacher will work with the Lead Teacher to provide a high quality, developmentally appropriate nature-based preschool experience for children ages 3-5 who are enrolled in the Little Hawks Discovery Preschool.
Teaching and Program Planning:
- Serve as assistant for assigned preschool classes of Little Hawks Discovery Preschool. Examples of activities include: interacting with students in nature and the classroom setting, engaging students in learning activities, preparing snacks, maintaining a safe learning environment.
- Partner with Lead Teacher and other assistants in development and planning of age-appropriate learning activities, such as small groups/enrichment activities for individual children and outdoor activities, based on nature-based curriculum and philosophy.
- Assist Lead Teacher with organization of outdoor and indoor classrooms and learning resources.
- Facilitate/lead daily small group in learning activity.
- Actively participate in large group activities, nature hikes, and explorations.
- Complete daily anecdotal note taking.
- Assist Lead Teacher in supervision of volunteers
- Supervision and evaluation will be provided by Preschool Program Director and Lead Teacher
Education/Experience: In one or more fields:
- Associates degree or higher in early childhood education or child development OR a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential.
- Background in Biology or Environmental Education
- Two or more years of experience in working with preschool children in a licensed preschool setting desired.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated interest in young children and early childhood education
- Interest in nature and being outdoors
- Willingness to spend a significant amount of time outdoors each day, in all types of weather
- Demonstrated good character, responsibility and suitability to meet the needs of children
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Must pass complete background check, including fingerprinting
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR
This position requires the following physical activities: pushing, pulling, climbing, walking, standing, squatting, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, lifting, bending, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work/teaching is performed indoors and outdoors.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications and the operation of general office equipment
- These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above.
How to Apply:
Applications should be sent to:
Travis Williams, Executive Director
Outdoor Discovery Center Macatawa Greenway
4214 56th Street
Holland, MI 49423
Timeline: Applications should be submitted by April 1, 2017
Job starting date: No later than August 14, 2017