Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Astronomer-in-the-Park at Glacier National Park
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, July 16, 2016, 11:45pm
Location: Apgar area (located on the west side of Glacier National Park)
Season: 6-8 weeks; August 7 to September 18 (ending dates may be flexible)
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week (5 days x 8 hours). Incumbent may work weekends and holidays.
Housing: Housing provided by the park (shared housing or RV spot)
Wage: $125 per week
Uniform: Uniform required and provided by the park
Glacier National Park protects and preserves a diverse landscape teeming with life. Through the summer, two volunteers, working as astronomers-in-the-park, are stationed on the west side of the park and provide solar and night sky interpretation to the visiting public. Solar viewing is offered in three hour blocks during the afternoon and night sky viewing is available for two hours at night. Telescopes and related equipment/materials are provided by the park. Orientation will be provided, including an introduction to the park and surrounding areas, and interpretive skills. Incumbent should have an existing knowledge of astronomy and telescope operations upon arrival.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of astronomy and related topics
- Working knowledge of telescope operations (day/night)
- Orientation to the night sky (constellations, deep sky objects)
- Proficiency in public speaking and personal communication
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Positive and professional approach to the position
- Valid driver's license; personal transportation to and from the duty station
Desired Knowledge and Skills
- Experience teaching astronomy or conducting astronomy programs and telescope viewing for the public
- Experience interacting with the general public and children
Position Start Date:
Sunday, August 7, 2016
How to Apply:
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (e.g., phone, postal address/email address) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through July 16 or until the position is filled.