Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Enjoy living and working in a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers in a forested playground, sandwiched between multiple state forests, rivers, and ponds. In summer, MEC offers a full season of expedition and environmental education courses for NYC youth in grades 6-12 with approximately 40 campers at each of the typically five sessions: exploratory, foundational, advanced, high school leadership training course, and BRIDGE.
Join our Team: May 23 – Aug 28, 2022
The Excursions Supervisor (Supervisor) leads the operations and training of a safe, healthy, and fun outdoor adventure program for middle- and high-school students from NYC, working to sequentially tailor excursions by age, maturity, and ability. Backpacking and canoeing outings range from one to four nights in nearby state forests, on national scenic trails, and nearby rivers in Massachusetts and Vermont. The Supervisor will:
• Review existing trip itineraries, update risk management planning, scout trails and rivers for changes in conditions, renew and attain required land-use permits, and develop new trips as needed.
• Continue to foster and maintain strong working relationships with land-owners and partners who contribute to the success of MEC excursions
• Review and continue to improve the existing training program to effectively prepare a range of new to seasoned outdoor leaders
• Provide positive mentorship and lead a feedback-oriented culture that focuses on growth, support, and goal accountability for outdoor leaders
• Provide ongoing support for excursions and MEC activities by being on-call for emergencies and trip support and supervise camp alongside the Director/Assistant Director
• Work closely with the Healthcare and Logistics Supervisor to coordinate medical needs, medications, and the infirmary in support of excursions
• Closely mentor four Teaching Assistants (TAs) who are typically upper high school students who previously participated in Christodora programs
• Mentor the growth of the TAs in their backcountry and teaching skills/knowledge
• Transport students to and from excursions and occasionally assist with participants traveling to and from NYC
• Provide regular updates to the MEC Director/Assistant Director about the status and needs of the excursions and provide administrative support for MEC programs
The staff of the Manice Education Center acknowledges that, as outdoor professionals, we continue to live on and make a living from the unceded ancestral lands of the indigenous people who stewarded this area for generations before the arrival of European settler colonialism. These people and sovereign nations include the Mohican, now known as the Stockbridge-Munsee Band in what is currently called Wisconsin, the Pocumtuc, the Nipmuc, and the Wabanaki, though much of this collective history remains lost or stolen through the effects of European settler colonialism, and we acknowledge there may still be more peoples who stewarded these lands. These nations are not currently represented in the board, directors, or employees of Christodora, Inc., which owns and operates MEC, and MEC continues to benefit from the oppressive history of colonialism and industrial agriculture that has forever altered the ecosystems of the region. We recognize there will be implications for how Christodora must alter its thoughts and decisions in benefitting from educating youth on these ancestral lands, and we welcome dialogue in this work, as this is only a small step toward repairing the generations of injustice done to these people and nations.
• Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoy connecting with youth from NYC
• Experience as an outdoor leader for backpacking and canoeing expeditions in a wilderness context with youth; applicants are encouraged to share links to outdoor leadership, education, development, and/or adventure portfolios
• Wilderness First Responder, CPR, Waterfront Lifeguard Certification or ability to obtain before summer or during training
• BA/BS in outdoor leadership, adventure recreation, or related discipline; significant professional experience also considered
• Valid Drivers License
• Background clearances, medical physical required, and record of required immunizations per Massachusetts camp law
• Outdoor leadership and/or wilderness navigation certifications preferred
• Room and board at MEC during employment
• Outdoor equipment discounts
How to Apply:
This position remains open until filled. Please send a resume and detailed cover letter in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “[Last Name]/MEC Excursions Supervisor” as the subject of the email. Three professional references may be requested following an initial interview. Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse, equitable, and inclusive educational environment that expands access to outdoor learning and spaces for all students, and applicants are encouraged to include how they will further this goal in their application materials.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and/or any other characteristic protected by law.