Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Calypso's School Garden Manager
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Thursday, February 15, 2018, 5:00pm
Position Length: April 3 – August 31, 2018
Hours: Seasonal, 30 hours per week
Compensation: $15.00/hour + a share of school garden vegetables during the growing season, mileage compensation between gardens
Applications due: February 15th, 2018
Founded in 2000, Calypso Farm and Ecology Center’s mission is to promote local agriculture and environmental awareness through hands-on education in natural and farming ecosystems. We do this through a variety of educational programs – for young and old – both on the farm and in the community. In all of our programs, we strive to increase access to and awareness of the benefits of purchasing and eating local foods. Learn more about us at www.calypsofarm.org!
School Garden Initiative (SGI) Overview
The School Garden Initiative consists of a network of three school gardens in the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, planted and maintained by Calypso. The goal of the gardens is to provide hands-on education to youth in a school garden setting. Summer programming includes: LEAF Summer Camps and the Engaging Alaskan Teens in Gardening (EATinG) Program. These gardens are a special part of the school and communities!
The School Garden Manager is Calypso’s lead farmer for the School Gardens, responsible for the health and production of the three school gardens. The SGM will join Calypso’s staff at the beginning of April and will spend time learning garden locations, meeting school staff, planning and outreaching to schools to recruit student gardeners. Weather permitting, bed prep and seeding of the gardens will take place throughout May. The SGM will supervise a short-term garden prep crew (for approximately 2 weeks in late May). In June and July, the SGM will work with summer education program staff on all garden maintenance and harvest (as needed). At the end of the season, the SGM will clean up the gardens and sheds, compile all garden records and complete a season evaluation with Calypso staff.
Roles and Responsibilities
Garden Care & Operations
- Lead bed prep, planting, seeding, irrigation, cultivation, weed-whacking, mowing, harvest, etc. in all 3 gardens
- Transport transplants from Calypso to each garden.
- Maintain good communication and work with summer garden program on garden maintenance.
- Make sure these public gardens look beautiful!
- Assist with school garden Farm Stands mid-June to mid-August as needed.
- Help share updates on garden activities & Farm Stands through our social media outlets.
- Participate in spring and fall garden activities with students and teachers as needed.
Planning & Organization
- Attend regular Calypso staff meetings and/or weekly check-ins with a Calypso Farmer
- Maintain a complete inventory of tools and supplies.
-Maintain excellent records of all garden seeding, planting, production, harvest, produce sales and donations
- Compile production notes into an end of season evaluation
- 2 years of organic farming experience, (management preferred)
- Farming skills including but not limited to: harvesting, bed prep, seeding, transplanting, compost building, cultivating, drip irrigation (system set-up and maintenance), weed whacking and mowing, etc.
- Must feel comfortable teaching gardening techniques
- Experience setting up and running a farm stand.
- Must work well under a deadline and be able to handle several projects at one time.
- Reliable vehicle to transport self, plants and tools (mileage will be reimbursed)
- Positive, hard working “can-do” attitude
- Detail-Oriented, with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Enjoy working with youth.
- Belief in Calypso’s mission (see overview at the top of first page)
- Have a sense of humor!
- First Aid & CPR certified (training provided)
How to Apply:
Applications are due February 15th, 2018. Early applications are encouraged. Please send a copy of your resume, 3 work related references and answers to the following questions to Christie Shell, Calypso’s Assistant Driector, at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Describe why you are interested in being the School Garden Manager.
2. Describe, in detail, your farming experience (including the types of farms you’ve worked on, for how long and what your responsibilities were). References required for each farm position.
3. Describe any relevant experience you have supervising other people.
4. Are you available from April 3 through August 31, 2018?
5. Describe any experience you have working with youth (preferred, not required)
6. If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?
7. How did you hear about the position?