Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks camp counselors for teaching positions at the EcoTarium’s Summer Discovery Camp. Counselors are responsible for daily supervision and instruction of campers aged 5-14. Topics include but are not limited to: natural and physical science, sensory awareness and group and team building. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry methods that encourage exploration, self-directed learning, and stewardship of the natural environment. A mandatory pre-camp training week runs June 26th-June 30th (9a.m. to 5p.m.). Camp employment involves 3-5 weeks of work between July 3rd and August 11th, 2017. The Camp Director assigns weeks to successful candidates. Candidate availability may affect hiring decisions. Counselors typically work Monday through Friday 8:30a.m. to 4:30 p.m. On Friday evenings the regular camp day is extended to 5 p.m. and on a rotating schedule, counselors are expected to stay for the Camp Family Pizza Party (until 7p.m.).
- Must be at least 17 years of age and completed at least 3 years of High School before the start of employment. Previous camp experience is preferred.
- General science background with knowledge in one or more of the following areas preferred: natural history, physical science, technology, engineering, and/or outdoor skills
- Ability to inspire a passion for science and nature in campers
- A love of working with children and parents
- Work experience teaching and/or working with children; camp experience a plus
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate should enjoy working in a busy camp community, be flexible and highly dependable
- Ability to plan, initiate and carry out education programs
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Interest in or experience working with diverse racial/socio-economic populations
- Ability to maintain safety and discipline in a fun and positive way
- Able to work in highly sensory and stimulating work environment, constantly interacting with guests, campers, volunteers, and other staff
- Be in good physical condition to meet the physical demands of the position. Ability to move program equipment/supplies up to 40 lbs, navigate nature trails under any weather conditions
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver by the start of training
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid or be willing to take a CPR/First Aid course provided by the EcoTarium
- Pass CORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Supervise campers’ safety on a daily basis
- Lead programs and activities for campers on a variety of science and nature topics
- Enhance existing curriculum with creative and thought provoking ideas and activities
- Lead campers in a variety of team-building activities
- Conduct programming indoors as well as outdoors in any type of weather
- Employ inquiry-based teaching methods to stimulate learning
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training and meetings
- Encourage positive self-esteem of campers and positive group dynamics
- Provide an exceptional experience for campers and their families
- Take initiative in problem solving, fostering effective interaction between campers, staff and parents
- Develop opportunities for successful interaction between campers, Counselors-in-Training and Junior Counselors
- Prepare for and participate in the Camp Family Pizza Party each Friday evening
- Chaperone offsite fieldtrips as needed
- Uniform/Dress Code Required
Non-Essential Functions: Other duties as assigned
Position Start Date:
Monday, June 26, 2017
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to: Human Resources, Attn: Camp Counselor Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: email@example.com with “Camp Counselor Application” in the subject line.
Review begins March 10th, 2017, applications accepted until position is filled.