Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, January 15, 2018, 1:00pm
Website:Bellwether Farm: DOhio Website
The Episcopal Diocese of Ohio is building an integrated program with a new camp and retreat facility, Bellwether Farm. A leadership team for this program is also being formed. The goal of Bellwether Farm is to offer a model for sustainable living that promotes physical and spiritual wellness, fidelity to the environment, and social justice by incorporating farming, food production, and environmental stewardship into fun, formative, land-based camp programs for youth of all backgrounds.
The Diocese seeks a Camp Director to join this new project and help build a pilot program for 3-4 weeks of camp in summer 2018 for ~75 Diocesan youth per week. At least two (2) weeks during the camp season will be for partner organizations or parishes using our facilities to run their own program. Ultimately, a goal of the camp program is to reach the wider community, serving families and children from many backgrounds. The Camp Director will accompany the growing leadership team to lay the groundwork for this integrated, inclusive program.
Our property allows such activities as hiking, tent-camping, swimming, canoeing, farming, and field sports among other things. Facilities (some built and some underway) include cabins that can accommodate up to 96 residential campers, an Arts cabin, Dining and Meeting Building, Worship Barn, and several Adult Retreat buildings that will accommodate adult or mixed-age groups throughout the year. The working farm and Teaching Kitchen will serve as a centerpiece to connect campers with the land, each other, and God. The camp program will be shaped by Bellwether’s wonderful location, situated along the Vermilion River just outside the Village of Wakeman.
The Camp Director will run the day-to-day operation of the summer camp program, which in our first season will serve residential campers and various day-camps and groups. The Camp Director, with assistance of other Bellwether team leadership, will be responsible for the hiring and training of the camp staff and general program planning. They will supervise all camp staff and volunteers. In addition, this person will aid with setting up camp registration and all required logistics for successfully beginning and running a camp program.
Bellwether’s Camp Director will collaborate with Diocesan youth leaders, parochial leaders, and the Canon for Christian Formation. This person will also coordinate with outside camps and groups seeking to use the camp facilities.
The program and position has great potential for growth. We anticipate this will be a full-time, year-round position. However, we also encourage persons on an educational schedule or someone interested in a flexible, seasonal position to apply. Starting date is as soon as possible.
Who should Apply?
- Candidates should be creative and collaborative; working in a camp environment requires high energy, flexibility, and humor.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in care of children and young adults is required.
- The position requires adept organizational and management skills, as well as strong supervisory skills and experience.
- Must have excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to interact well with diverse audiences including parents and prospective campers/groups.
- The candidate should be able to support the ministry of the Episcopal Church.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in camp administration or similar experience is required; demonstrated experience in planning and implementing educational programs is desired.
- Bachelor's degree with specialization in camp administration/management, education, outdoor recreation, natural resources or related discipline is required, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Will be required to submit to and pass a background screening; must have or be able to obtain First Aid, CPR, and AED certification.
- Must be able to hike up and down hilly terrain; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
How to Apply:
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to Claudia Wilson, Development and Project Management Specialist, at email@example.com.
Please see http://www.dohio.org/blog/bellwether-farm-camp-director for complete job posting.