Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Camp Director/Assistant Executive Director
Position Purpose: To further the mission of Eagle Island, Inc. by developing and implementing a comprehensive camp program to attract campers to the Eagle Island experience, which includes the recruiting and hiring of staff and marketing the program. This is a unique opportunity to develop a brand-new sailing and adventure camp program at a facility with deep historical roots!
Proposed Start Date: September 15, 2018
Essential Position Functions:
Ensure design and delivery of camp program for opening of a short 2019 season, expanded 2020 season, and full 2021 season (140 campers) that meets the needs and interests of the camp’s target population and ensure their delivery in a safe and high-quality manner.
- Design and ensure timely delivery of age-appropriate programs and activities for the target camper population.
- Develop and implement crisis and risk management procedures.
- Develop and implement marketing and camper recruitment materials, tools, and approaches (brochures, social media, PSAs, webcast/podcast, in-person camp promotion vehicles).
- Develop and manage annual and long-term budgets based on program and staffing needs.
- Recruit, hire, and train Eagle Island Camp program, kitchen, health, and facility staff based on enrollment and program management practices (DOH, ACA, EIC).
- Oversee the daily operation of the summer resident camp by supervising key staff including (but not limited to) Food Services Manager, Assistant Director, Business Manager, Health Care Professionals, and ensuring proper supervision of all staff and campers.
- Determine recommended trading post inventories and ensure that such inventories are maintained during the camping season.
Design, deliver, and evaluate camp program for additional, non-youth, camper populations at nontraditional camp times.
- Schedule and implement (1) spring and (1) fall Work Weekend for the purpose of preparing the camp for the coming season.
- Schedule, design, and implement specialty camp programs such as Women’s Weekend, Adult Camp, and Family Camp.
Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to ensure that the facility is ready for camp opening and is closed effectively at the end of the season.
As agreed with the Executive Director, support the operation of Eagle Island, Inc., such as input to capital budgets, fund development, providing basic business analysis, and promotion of Eagle Island Camp. Goals for these projects will be developed annually.
Serve as a role model to campers and staff and guide them in appropriate behavior, language, attitudes, and activities.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Prior experience in an administrative or advanced program position in an established resident camp
- Must meet NYDOH & ACA age requirements
- College degree preferred
- Love of children and camp life
- Current driver’s license and clean driving record
- Demonstrated ability to lead, supervise, and develop staff
- Knowledge of ACA standards and NYDOH requirements as they relate to a children’s camp
- First Aid and CPR/AED certified or willingness to obtain
- Current boat license or willingness to obtain and complete an onboard proficiency test implemented by an experienced Eagle Island boat driver
- Proficient in current computer technology, equipment, and applications
- Experience with social media and other marketing/recruitment tools and/or experience working with marketing personnel/consultant
- Must reside on the camp property throughout the Eagle Island Camp program season
How to Apply:
To apply for this challenging and unique position, please send resume and cover letter.
In your cover letter, please introduce yourself, and address the following:
Eagle Island Camp is a place where young women and girls can unplug from the high stress, media focused and competitive lives they live—and explore their own strengths and the wonder of their environment.
As the director of this special place, how would you design a program and culture that supports this sense of curiosity and exploration? What relevant experiences do you bring to this unique camp? And how would you bring your vision to life? What are the key skills that you bring to this opportunity?
Send materials to: email@example.com