Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Camp Educator, Crissy Field Center
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, April 7, 2017, 11:45pm
CAMP EDUCATOR POSITION:
Are you passionate about making a positive impact on San Francisco Bay Area youth in the outdoors? The Camp Educator position at the Crissy Field Center is an exciting experience for someone looking to work in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area this summer. Educators lead groups of 10-12 children in the Golden Gate National Parks, guiding activities that help youth make connections between their home communities and their national park. Educators are involved in program development and curriculum design, working as part of a diverse and inclusive team – which consists of arts and media specialists, youth interns, park rangers – in the service of youth and their families.
Camp Educators will also have the opportunity to colead
several newly developed programs in 2017: Community Partner Camp, Family Camp at Rob Hill, and an Urban Backpackers adventure. These programs are a valuable opportunity for Educators to learn more about how to create relevant and impactful programs in collaboration with Bay Area communities. Community Partner Camp is a tailored summer program, designed to meet the needs and requests of a community partner with limited or no access to national parks. Educators will work with the Community Partner to provide inquirybased experiential education to groups of students. Family Camp invites Junior Rangers to demonstrate their knowledge and comfort in the outdoors through a youth-led family campout. Urban Backpackers approaches the skillbase of backcountry hiking as applied to city life, culminating in overnight backpacking at Rob Hill Campground in the Presidio, as well as in the Marin Headlands.
For more detailed camp descriptions, visit www.crissyfieldcenter.org/camp. Camp Educators report to the
Manager, Community Services and Programs. This is a summer seasonal position lasting from May through
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Co-Lead the general supervision of youth during camp programs and activities in the Presidio, including field trips throughout the Golden Gate National Parks.
- Responsible for the safety and behavior of groups of 1012 children ages 6 to 12 (rising 2nd – 8th graders).
- Create a fun, challenging, and positive learning environment.
- Maintain safety and behavior guidelines to ensure quality of each camper’s experience.
- Develop & implement teambuilding, and recreation time activities.
- Lead program development and the delivery of outdoor recreation activities.
- Work with Crissy Field Center specialists, park rangers, and other park staff to link daily activities with each session’s camp theme and foster a sense of environmental responsibility with campers.
- Help oversee Extended Care.
- Commit to working from May 30, 2017 – August 11, 2017. Weekends are not included, but there will be occasions when overnight camping is required. Prior training to the summer start day may also be necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Multicultural Environmental Education: Knowledge with issues related to the urban environment, as well as current local, regional. and global events. Committed to the process of social and environmental justice through education.
- Youth Development: Knowledgeable in adolescent development. Skilled in crisis intervention methods, implementing youth development principles, and responding to youth needs.
- Restorative Group Management: Able to guide elementary-aged youth and middle schoolaged youth in a national park setting, with an understanding of youths’ emotional and physical needs using a restorative/transformative justice lens.
- Knowledge of local community resources.
- Interpersonal skills: Considerate and responds appropriately to the needs and capabilities of diversity of people in different situations. Treats others with respect.
- Communication: Speaks clearly and effectively. Thoughtful and persuasive; writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs.
- Teamwork: Contributes to achieving group goals and supports the organization’s efforts to succeed.
- Relates effectively to others when encountering difficult situations.
- Dependable: Balances team and individual responsibilities. Persistent and hard working.
- Good Judgment: Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Able to take calculated risks while prioritizing the safety of both staff and campers. Includes appropriate people in decisionmaking process.
- Flexibility: Able to work in a variety of outdoor and indoor environments, including a flexible work schedule that does include some evenings. Able to change or revise lessons on the spot based on the group’s needs.
Physical Requirements and Work Environments:
- Work is performed mainly in an outdoor setting
- Work is primarily performed standing or walking
- Frequently lift, carry, and position objects weighing up to 50 pounds
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- CPR and First Aid certification
- Minimum 1 year of experience working with youth
- Mutlilingual: Able to speak language(s) other than English that serve Bay Area communities
Applications due April 7, 2017
No phone calls please.
This position is fulltime,seasonal, hourly, and located in a beautiful national park setting. The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, placement, and promotions are conducted without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, age, physical handicap, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other classification
protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
How to Apply:
Seasonal Camp Educator, Crissy Field Center