Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Camps & Adventure Program Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, May 12, 2017, 5:00pm
Environmental Educator I – Camps and Adventure Program Coordinator
Director of Education
Salaried Employee, Exempt
The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes (NCSL), a 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in 1966 and located in the historic Shaker Parklands of Cleveland’s eastern inner-ring suburbs, seeks a creative and committed Environmental Educator to work with the Education Director and staff to carry out its educational program goals. The Nature Center’s mission, vision, programs, staff, board, and history can be found at www.shakerlakes.org.
The Camps and Adventure Program Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of spring break camp and summer camp, scouts, developing and growing NCSL’s archery and team building programs, and providing education programs for other key audiences. The successful candidate will work with fellow environmental educators presenting NCSL-designed curricula and hands-on outdoor experiences to area school children attending field experiences (pre-K-12th grade), outdoor adventure camps and classes for children, nature-themed programs including nature walks and informal lectures for families and adults, and other community programming as needed and scheduled.
- Prepare and present high-quality, place-based NCSL environmental education programs to key audiences, including area school children, preschool children, campers, adults and families.
- All duties associated with preparing for and running NCSL’s spring break and summer day camps, including hiring and training summer naturalists and assisting the Volunteer Coordinator with interviewing and training summer camp youth volunteer assistants.
- All duties associated with preparing for, scheduling and running NCSL’s scout programs.
- Oversee and ensure accurate record keeping in NCSL’s online registration database and serve as back-up registrar for camps as needed.
- Research, develop and grow NCSL’s archery programs and develop team building programs as a source of new revenues.
- Collaborate with other Environmental Educators to develop Adult and Family programming opportunities.
- Participate in development and delivery of environmental education programming for additional CMSD schools, with a focus on pre-K-5th grade levels.
- Stay current and work collaboratively with all NCSL staff to ensure excellence and maintain continuous improvement of NCSL curricula and programs.
- Work effectively with teachers and other clients, volunteers and the public in the presentation of NCSL programs and events.
- Coordinate with Development and Marketing staff on grant proposals and marketing opportunities as needed.
- Maintain good humor and apply professional, common-sense solutions to everyday challenges.
- Assist with Board and Staff meetings, fundraising events, and family and adult programs as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working in a camp setting a must
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience with children (pre-K-12th grade)
- Minimum 1 year program coordination or program management experience
- 4-year college degree in Environmental Education, Environmental Studies or related science/natural resource/education field
- Ability to manage children in the outdoors; must possess visual and auditory abilities to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to outdoor activities
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate activities and ability to design age-appropriate environmental education curricula and activities for a wide variety of audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective public speaking skills; ability to communicate in an outdoor urban setting.
- Love of the outdoors; knowledge of natural history/ecology, local flora and fauna
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of audiences; ability to interact with the public, parents/guardians, teachers and staff with tact, courtesy, and diplomacy
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, adapt to change, work independently, and to prioritize effectively
- Excellent computer skills; must be familiar with Microsoft Office applications
- Willingness to work as a team and with other staff and volunteers
- CPR/1st Aid Certification required (can be arranged)
- Wilderness First Responder, Lifeguard Training and/or Leave No Trace Training preferred
- Prior experience conducting teacher workshops a plus
- Prior experience with Sustainability and/or Family programming a plus
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, and overnights as needed
- Ability to hike 3-5 miles with a 10 pound backpack
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record are required
- Enthusiasm, poise, flexibility, dependability, good sense of humor, and positive attitude
- Commitment to NCSL mission, principles and values
Start Date: June 2017
The mission of the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes is to
conserve a natural area, connect people with nature, and inspire environmental stewardship.
The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
Subject: Environmental Educator – Camps and Adventure Program Coordinator
Include: Cover letter, resume, and salary requirements
DEADLINE: Friday, May 12th, or until filled.
Posted: April 27, 2017
Commensurate with experience, qualifications and organizational salary structure; includes full benefits package, progressive work environment, and opportunities for professional development.