Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
CAP Instructor in Aurora, CO
Cottonwood Institute is looking for an inspiring and passionate educator, experienced classroom teacher, and
well-rounded outdoor professional who can learn quickly, teach with integrity and work autonomously in a contract role. The CAP Instructor
will teach the Community Adventure Program (CAP) at AXL Academy in Aurora, CO (Sched: 10-11 a.m. M-W-F). CAP blends service learning, environmental education, and outdoor education. The individual will receive full training in how to successfully implement the CAP curriculum. The position location is split between the school we are partnering with (85%), Simply Storage in Arvada where gear is stored (10%), and the CI office at the Alliance Center in Downtown Denver (5%).
- The contract requires you be located in the Denver Metro Area - preference for Aurora location.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Proven middle-school classroom management.
- A minimum of two years experience leading, instructing, or teaching in the outdoors and/or the classroom.
- Classroom teaching experience.
- Experience working in under-resourced urban neighborhoods.
- Passion for connecting with teenage students and empowering change.
- Willingness to be flexible to changing conditions and program demands.
- Outstanding people skills; ability to work well with adults and teens.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Knowledge of local environmental issues, civic action, and ability to teach multiple aspects of issues to teens.
- Experience facilitating project-based and/or service-learning curriculum with teens.
- Excellent classroom management tools and techniques.
- Experience camping and/or hiking and willingness to take on outdoor challenges.
- Current certification as a Wilderness First Responder and in CPR
- Spanish speaking.
- Valid drivers license, good driving record, and competency driving 15 passenger vans.
- Reliable transportation.
- Experience leading teenage students in the outdoors.
- Strong preference for teachers living in and/or familiar with the Aurora area.
Compensation: This is a temporary independent contract. Compensation will be based on experience and paid monthly
for the contract. Teaching starts at $20/hour.
AXL Academy, 14100 E Jewell Ave, Aurora, CO 80012
- Schedule: MWF classes10-11 a.m. Trimester scheduling contract is for December 2017 - May 2018
- Starts December 1, 2017 (flexible)
- Ends June 1st, 2018
Trips (must be available to lead):
- 2nd Trimester: Field-day Friday
- December 15th, 2017
- Overnight Thursday-Friday
- February 8-9, 2018 (yurts)
- 3rd Trimester: Field Day Friday
- April 13, 2018
- Overnight Thursday-Friday
- May 17-18, 2018 (tent camping)
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to
firstname.lastname@example.org . Open ASAP until filled.