Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Challenge Course Site Supervisor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
CHALLENGE COURSE SITE SUPERVISOR (CCSS)
Located in the Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts, Berkshire Outdoor Center operates a year-round outdoor education program. Our operation serves around 19,000 youth and adults from around New England and beyond, the majority being from Boston and New York City areas. Typical groups include schools, youth groups, community organizations, corporate groups and other retreats and conferences. We also run Family Camps and Women's Wellness Weekends.
Positions are competitive.
Seasonal Employment Options
Because we run programs year-round, we are continuously looking for exceptional staff throughout the year. We have staff that work occasionally in our programs through to staff that stay with us on a year-round basis for several years.
Challenge Course Site Supervisor Job Description
This position commences with an intensive training program in April. By mid-May, the CCSS assumes several significant operations responsibilities. The position continues through the summer and fall, ending in November. After May 15, the position is contingent upon passing the intensive training.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Seasonal)
Reports to: BOC Program Coordinator
General Function: The CCSS is responsible for the safe day-to-day running of BCCYMCA challenge courses, including daily inspections, set-up, take-down, operations and supervision of Challenge Course Instructors. Additionally, the CCSS is responsible for facilitation high and low elements, focused on established curricula in leadership development and teambuilding. Further, the CCSS is responsible for training and the development of staff assigned to the challenge course.
The CCSS must:
- Be highly motivated to work in a variety of outdoor roles
- Have experience working on challenge courses and/or other climbing equivalents
- Be able to teach outdoor education in various environments to a diverse range of participants from a variety of backgrounds.
- Have the desire to work with children, youth, teens and adults of all backgrounds
- Be an active individual
- Have teambuilding and low ropes experience
- Be flexible with scheduling and fulfilling additional roles
- Experience working with children in an outdoor education setting
- Alpine tower, Giant Swing and Zip line belay experience
- Association for Challenge Course Technology Level 2 certification
- Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid experience and certifications
*Additional Advantages can be trained by us (and we pay you for the training) if the candidate does not possess each of them, providing they are highly motivated and physically capable.
- High Elements set up, take down, and active supervision of safety protocols.
- Low Elements facilitation with a diverse variety of groups
- Perform any course rescues that may arise
- Work with the Challenge Course Manager to inspect the courses monthly
- Lead the training of other staff in course-related skills, protocols and procedures
- Work with youth and adults.
- Work effectively with children and adults in a variety of settings & programs & seasons, including:
- Teambuilding & Low Elements, High Elements, Climbing Tower, Alpine Tower and Zip line
- Manage activities with the highest standards of safety
- Function as an effective team member; be flexible with schedule changes and customer needs
- Serve as a senior mentor (and role model) to new Program Instructors
- Keep inventories of ropes course stock and equipment
- Participate in training, meetings and other professional development opportunities
- Keep supervisors informed of new program opportunities, be responsive to group and staff evaluations, and participate in curriculum review & development
Salary & Benefits
All employees earn a salary plus meals and lodging
How to Apply:
For more information, please visit http://www.bccymca.org/boc/home/employment/positions-available/challenge-course-site-supervisor .
At the bottom of the page, follow link to "BOC Expression of Interest of Employment" form.