Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Chief Mate - Deep Green Wilderness
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, February 27, 2017, 5:00pm
Deep Green Wilderness, an environmental education organization based out of Seattle that provides marine science and sailing expeditions in the San Juan Islands and British Columbia for junior high, high school and adults is seeking a chief mate and sailing instructor for the 2017 season onboard s/v Orion. The position begins March 31 and continues through Fall 2017.
Duties include but are not limited to
- Work with the captain to create and execute lessons
- Work with captain and deckhands to safely operate Orion
- Lead and assist with vessel maintenance
- Teach effective and engaging sailing and navigation lessons to students of all ages
- All typical chief mate duties including running the deck underway and small boat handling
- Working with the students on all tasks and activities: sailing, research, cooking, cleaning, games, shore excursions, etc.
- Assist with film production underway and while onshore
- Assist with logistical and meal planning leading up to trips and underway
- Communicate effectively with chaperones and program participants
- Train deckhand and interns on safe and effective seamanship skills
The Ideal Applicant will have
- USCG 50-ton inland mates license preferred but not required
- Strong comfort level working with students on the water
- A degree in Marine Biology, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science or related field
- A background in sailing and boat based education
- An enthusiastic interest in using a sailboat to engage students and the public with the natural world
- High comfort level working with students from 7th graders to adults
- A willingness to spend long periods of time living onboard in close quarters with other crew members and students
- Excellent communication skills
- A strong work ethic and willingness to help with a variety of tasks required to run the boat and program smoothly
- An interest in Environmental and Marine Policy
- A valid US Passport
How to Apply:
Please read the full job description which can be found at http://www.deepgreenwilderness.com/employment.html.
Then send a resume and cover letter to Kevin Campion: firstname.lastname@example.org