Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Children's Zoo Specialist I - Interpretation
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, June 5, 2016, 6:00pm
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide animal encounters, formal and informal presentations, and other educational opportunities for visitors. Engage in positive guest interactions with an audience of children and their families; assist in the implementation of education and conservation goals. (90%)
- Follow protocols and operating procedures to maintain a high level of animal care.(10%)
- Thoroughly communicate daily status of animals verbally and in writing to coworkers, Supervisors, Curator.
- Perform facility maintenance and exhibit modifications as directed. Maintain Zoo equipment and property in clean, safe and appropriate condition; return it ready for next use.
- As instructed, assist with monitoring and control of pest species, feral animals, predators, etc that may pose hazards to the health or well-being of the collection.
- Work with and mentor youth volunteers throughout daily routine.
- Assist with visitor concerns or emergencies. Follow all safety protocols and understand role in emergency procedures.
- Attend and complete required training classes and tests.
- Regular, reliable and punctual attendance as scheduled. Exhibit flexibility as needed to cover schedule for special events.
- Represent Dallas Zoo in a professional manner at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Animal care and education experience preferred, preferably in a Zoo or similar setting.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in education, life sciences, zoology, or related field strongly preferred or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Must display a high level of customer service skills and a positive and professional attitude.
- Must have a desire to engage and work with large groups of children and adults.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management and other employees.
- Must have excellent observational skills.
- Must be flexible, organized, self-motivated, and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing. Spanish fluency a plus.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) or ability to master this and other software used by the Zoo within first few weeks after hiring.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to actively work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation
- Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code LFCZ-INTER in the subject line to be considered.