Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
START DATE: April 6, 2017
DURATION: Full Time, 4.5 Months (Spring and Fall seasons – many staff will couple with summer opportunities on Thompson Island), Seasonal Exemption
Connections Classroom Specialists (CS) are responsible for the delivery of classroom session for our Connections Programs in our Boston Public School (BPS) partner schools. The Connections Program strives to foster an interest in science learning and the development of social emotional skills in Boston’s young people by providing one to three day field learning experiences to students from our BPS partner schools on Thompson Island. The majority of Connections programs use established curriculum based on the Massachusetts State Science Standards to foster hands on learning experience in the natural environment. Classroom specialists are responsible for delivering classroom visits at our partner BPS schools prior to the students’ field program on Thompson Island. Classroom Specialists work to promote science learning and excitement for the island experience by leading teambuilding exercises and teaching introductory science lessons. Classroom Specialists play a vital role in promoting student physical and emotional safety as they prepare personally and as a group for their visit to the island.
- Knowledge of the principle of education reform, curriculum standards, and assessment techniques at the national and regional levels, specifically 5-8 MA science standards.
- Knowledge of Boston Public School system.
- Ability to teach a variety of audiences, including students in grades 5 – 8, including a knowledge of developmental psychology.
- Ability to work effectively with teachers, faculty, administrators, facilitators, students independently and as a member of a team.
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in education or youth development field strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a school, educational, or youth support setting required.
- Demonstrated ability communicate and present ideas with clarity, credibility, humility and tact; lead with the “they why” and tailor messaging to audience
- Maintain professionalism in speaking and writing.
- Proven success operating in dynamic and changing environments with the demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize projects; delegate tasks appropriately; and manage progress against goals for self and others while addressing barriers.
- Possesses openness, responsiveness, approachability, and understanding of others’ perspectives with the demonstrated ability to maintain and build relationships through collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to address and resolve team conflict effectively and tactfully.
- Passion for and understanding of the philosophy of Outward Bound.
- One to three years of relevant work experience at Thompson Island or equivalent.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office platforms required
How to Apply:
Please apply using our online application here: https://thompsonisland.org/about/employment/field-staff-application/