Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Coastal Camp Counselor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Coastal Camp Counselors participate in the implementation of week-long, themed day-camp sessions from June 12 until August 18 (with required training occurring June 5-9). Each weekly theme has been chosen to highlight and take advantage of our natural outdoor location in a stunning and unique national park setting within the Marin Headlands, part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Counselors support Camp Environmental Science Educators and are expected to engage themselves physically, intellectually, and emotionally to implement and design creative and unique activities and to be part of a participative/collaborative learning community. We strive to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds, abilities, cultures, orientations, identities and communities. NatureBridge encourages opportunities for growth and professional development, and many of our counselor alumni obtain education positions in environmental and education communities leveraging their NatureBridge experience in positive ways. Counselors will be hired into one of three specific focus areas, Sports and Recreation, Arts and Crafts or Music and Movement for developing camper’s choice activities (please consider which focus area you would like to apply for based on the job description below).
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Qualified candidates will create, lead and/or support activities for diverse groups of campers in one or more of the following focus areas twice a week: (1) arts & crafts, (2) music & movement, and/or (3) sports & recreation
- Desire and ability to be an active, engaged, and positive role model for campers at all times during the camp day
- Provide a nurturing, safe, and fun environment where campers play, explore, learn, and discover; exercise superb judgment around group and risk management and administer and document first-aid as needed
- Support Camp Educators by assisting with group management, food distribution, and maintaining camper safety and comfort over uneven terrain in all kinds of weather
- Supervise and engage campers while managing safety during games and activities in early (8am – 9:15am) and extended care (3:30pm- 5:15pm).
- Assist with daily camp drop off and pick up, activity set-up and clean-up, maintenance of counselor teaching kit, recreational equipment and camp spaces
- Participate in staff training week June 5th- June 9th 8:30am – 5pm each day and attend weekly camp staff meetings
- Work cooperatively with others within a live/work environment
- Availability for the entire camp season June 5th – August 18th
- Perform other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES AND EDUCATION:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Enjoyment of and desire to work with youth in an outdoor camp setting
- Prior experience working with children ages 4-12 in an informal, camp, or outdoor setting for at least one or more seasons within the past 2 years
- Must be available Monday through Friday from June 5th to August 18th
- Possess current CPR (Adult, Child and Infant) and First Aid certification or ability to get certified before the camp season begins. Wilderness First Aid highly preferred and encouraged.
- Ability to implement and model excellent risk management practices and maintain a safe environment for our campers and visitors
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills with campers, management, and co workers
- Able to work flexible 8 hour shifts, including optional overnights
- Be pro-active, enthusiastic, highly motivated, punctual, organized, and capable of working as part of a collaborative team
- Pass a background check and provide evidence of a negative TB test before start date.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
How to Apply:
Please email a current resume with three references and letter of interest to email@example.com. Our hiring process runs until filled and we will be contacting candidates to discuss their qualifications and to answer questions about Coastal Camp on an ongoing basis. For those applicants with limited computer access, please mail applications to:
Coastal Camp Counselor Hiring Committee
NatureBridge at Golden Gate
1033 Fort Cronkhite
Sausalito, CA 94965