Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Coastal Camp Counselor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Coastal Camp Counselors work with Environmental Science Educators to lead groups of day campers in grades K-12 in hiking and exploring the Marin Headlands, a beautiful coastal park thats part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Each week counselors and educators work with one group to implement lessons, games, stories and other activities centered around that weeks theme. The majority of campers are in the 1st-2nd age group or 3rd-4th age group. This role is ideal for people interested in gaining experience in elementary and/or outdoor education, environmental science, and summer camps. The role is a full-time, seasonal position beginning June 5, 2022. This position is expected to run 10 weeks, but the ability to offer programs depends on state and county Covid-19 restrictions, so we are unable to guarantee a minimum number of work weeks. The end date will be no later than August 19, 2022.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow all Risk Management policies to mitigate camper and staff injury and illness
- Support and assist the implementation of lessons, group management and food distribution
- Maintain camper safety and comfort over uneven terrain in all kinds of weather
- Facilitate meaningful and fun outdoor experiences to help campers form a personal relationship with the natural world
- Proactively engage campers and manage safety in games and activities during early (8 am 9:15 am) and/or aftercare (3:30 pm- 5:15 pm).
- Create, lead and/or support activities for campers in Campers Choice.
- Lead one required curriculum activity each week.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb and balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk, hear, taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
$15 per hour
Includes housing within Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Experience, Competencies and Education
- Ability to implement and model excellent risk management practices and maintain a physically, socially and emotionally safe environment for our participants
- Experience working with children ages 4-12, particularly in camps or formal or informal education settings.
- Available for flexible eight-hour shifts Monday-Friday during camp weeks
- Willingness to be coached and openness to feedback.
- Capable of working as part of a collaborative team.
- Possess current CPR (Adult, Child and Infant) and First Aid certification or ability to get certified before the camp season begins.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume, three references, and, in lieu of a cover letter, respond to the short-answer application questions through our Online Career Portal.