Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Conservation Corp Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 5:00pm
Natural Heritage Trust Job Announcement
Date: May 1, 2016
Title: Conservation Corps Coordinator
Work Location: Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12238
The Conservation Corps Coordinator (Coordinator) will coordinate all aspects of the New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation (OPRHP) contracts for conservation corps programs that provide paid internship opportunities in natural and historic resource stewardship and interpretation in state parks and historic sites. OPRHP currently administers two programs: the NYS Excelsior Conservation Corps; and the Hudson Valley Corps. Both programs are administered in partnership with the Student Conservation Association. Additionally, the Coordinator will be responsible for helping to expand the current Hudson Valley Corps program into additional State Parks Regions.
Primary responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Oversee all aspects of OPRHP’s conservation corps programs.
- Coordinate budget for corps program, including budget forecasting, draw-down and final reporting.
- Coordinate placement of all corps members/internships in NYS parks & historic sites.
- Work with individual parks/historic sites to develop each internship work plan.
- Plan, develop, and carry out corps service projects for the Excelsior Conservation Corps.
- Coordinate required and elective trainings for conservation corps.
- Support OPRHP environmental education priorities by working priorities into corps-member’s work plans.
- Support OPRHP college/university relationship through connecting the corps with existing internships, research and stewardship activities.
- Support other educational program activities as assigned by supervisor.
B.A. required in natural resource management, environmental studies, environmental education or demonstrably related field. Working knowledge of interpretation/environmental education topics and conservation practices; computer skills, especially Excel; must be organized and detailed oriented; motivated and independent; have excellent communication skills, and a proven ability to work with teams.
37.5 hour work week. Full benefits. A driver’s license is required for this position. Up to 25% travel required.
Preferred Skills/Experience: Project management experience. Former employment or matriculation through a similar conservation corps/AmeriCorps program.
Project Funding and Duration: This position is funded through the Natural Heritage Trust (NHT)* and the selected candidate will be an employee of the NHT with work conducted under the supervision of NYSOPRHP. There is currently a two‐year funding commitment; this may be increased for a longer duration or shortened based on program needs and availability of funds.
*The Natural Heritage Trust (NHT) is a New York State public benefit corporation.
Established in 1968, the Trust’s mission is to receive and administer gifts, grants, and contributions to further public programs for parks, recreation, conservation, waterfront revitalization, and historic preservation purposes of the State of New York. The NHT is governed by a four‐member board comprised of the Commissioner of State Parks, the Chair of the State Council of Parks, the Commissioner of Environmental Conservation and the Secretary of State. The NHT is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
To Apply: Please email a letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references to Andy.Fyfe@parks.ny.gov, or by post to Andy Fyfe, Special Assistant to the Commissioner, NYSOPRHP, Albany NY 12238 by June 15, 2016. Please insert the words “Conservation Corps Coordinator” in the subject line.