Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Curriculum Specialist AmeriCorps VISTA member will:
- Creatively transform STEM learning to be more local, personal, and relevant for target beneficiaries in east Tennessee.
- Develop curricular templates, lessons, and materials for hands-on STEM education at GSMIT and in target low-income communities.
- Create connections between GSMIT programs, learning standards and classroom activities.
- Research and build a repository of hands-on STEM education tools and lessons from around the country to be used in east TN schools.
- Conduct research related to STEM education needs in target low-income communities of east Tennessee.
- Research and provide guidance on best practices for innovative STEM learning.
GSMIT will provide the following benefits for each VISTA member:
- Housing: VISTA members will be offered onsite housing on GSMIT’s campus in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. VISTA members will be responsible for paying monthly rent to GSMIT. Housing will include a private bedroom with shared bathroom, shower, living room, patio, and kitchen. Housing includes electric (including heat and AC), water, phone, and wireless internet.
- Meals: VISTA members will have access, at no cost, to all meals served in GSMIT’s dining hall during programming. With the exception of parts of December and January, meals are typically served in the dining hall at least twice per day, often seven days per week.
- Training: VISTA members will participate in GSMIT staff training sessions on a variety of topics such as nonprofit management, experiential education pedagogy and methodology, team-building, natural history, etc.
This position will be administered by the Corporation for National Community Service, the parent organization of the AmeriCorps VISTA program. As a member of the VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program, the successful candidate will receive:
- $11,676 annual living stipend ($973/mo.)
- Choice of education award or end of service stipend
- Health Coverage
- Childcare Assistance
- Relocation Allowance
- AmeriCorps VISTA training and travel
Experience and Education: A bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred. One or more years experience in any combination of the following: classroom teaching, experiential education, curricula design, professional writing, outreach, and/or communications.
Essential skills: Experience developing and/or implementing curricular resources. Familiarity with education standards and trends. Web design skills or willingness to learn. Strong professional writing skills.
Preferred skills: Background in k-12, experiential, and/or science education. Proficiency in reading/writing/speaking Spanish.
Position Start Date:
Monday, July 18, 2016
How to Apply:
We aim to fill this position no later than June 13. Please apply as soon as possible. Send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position and most relevant skills, addressed to Caleb Carlton, media and outreach specialist, at email@example.com. For more information or to pose inquiries, please email Caleb.