Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Day Camp Teen Program Director
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The EcoTarium, a museum of science & nature, seeks a dynamic and engaging Teen Program Director to facilitate and supervise the Counselor-in-Training (CIT) and Junior Counselor (JC) programs for ages 13 to 17 and provide general leadership for the EcoTarium Summer Discovery Camp. Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and takes place on the museum floor, in classroom settings, in our digital planetarium, and outdoors on our 55-acre site, including programming and play facilitation in our Nature Explore® Outdoor Exhibit. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning. Activities help instill a passion for science and promote stewardship of the natural environment.
Candidates must enjoy working with youth and young adults ages 5 to 17, possess a keen interest in science, and be committed to ongoing growth and learning in the fields of science and education. Camp staff training begins June 17, 2019 and employment runs through August 23, 2019. The Teen Program Director must also attend Junior Counselor Training on Saturday, June 15. A typical daily shift for camp begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m. On Fridays, the Teen Program Director is expected to participate in the Friday Camp Family Slideshow ending at approximately 5:15 p.m.
$11.25 per hour/Non-Exempt, temporary
- Must be 21 years of age and successfully completed at least two years of college; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Background in life science, earth science, astronomy, engineering, and/or physical science
- Demonstrated previous experience teaching and/or working with youth in a formal, informal, inquiry-based and/or experiential learning setting; experience working with teens preferred
- Experience leading programming at a science and/or nature camp; experience facilitating team-building initiatives desired
- Curriculum development experience a plus
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service principles
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid or take a CPR/First Aid course the EcoTarium provides
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver by the start of training
- Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, move program equipment and supplies up to 40 lbs., and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI/SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Develop, plan, and implement specific CIT programs and activities that promote team-building and leadership development
- Assist with facilitation of the smooth operation of day-to-day camp functions including activities, lunch break, transition times, and drop-off/sign-out
- Provide support and mentorship for seasonal camp staff as needed
- Attend training/orientation for JCs prior to camp staff training week
- Assign JCs to camper groups each week, and provide coaching, mentoring and feedback to JCs as needed
- Lead and implement creative programs and activities for campers on a variety of science and nature topics while encouraging positive self-esteem of campers and positive group dynamics
- Supervise and maintain camper safety and discipline in a fun and positive way
- Monitor and promote positive interactions between camp staff, campers, CITs, and JCs
- Provide an exceptional experience for campers and their families and be proactive in problem solving and communicating issues and solutions to campers and parents
- Conduct indoor/outdoor programming and navigate trails in all types of weather conditions. Set-up and maintain field gear, program materials, technical equipment and supplies
- Prepare for and actively participate in all aspects of Friday Camp Family Slideshow
- Prepare for and actively participate in all staff training and meetings
- Uniform/dress code required
Non-Essential Functions: Other duties as may be assigned.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to: Human Resources, Attn: Teen Program Director Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Teen Program Director Search” in the subject line.
Review begins immediately, applications accepted until position is filled.
$11.25 per hour/Non-Exempt, temporary