Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Early Childhood Teacher- PT
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, August 15, 2016, 8:00pm
Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ) is seeking an experienced, creative teacher to instruct early childhood programming at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo. This educator will be responsible for lesson planning and classroom facilitation for "parent and me" classes for ages 2-3 and 3-5. The educator will also join a team that plans and facilitates community-based early learning programming for underserved families in Washington, D.C.
The educator will be contracted for individual classes/class series, but must be available to teach throughout the 2016-2017 academic year from September to June. Schedule is flexible; this is a part-time, contract staff position.
- College degree. (Background in education, environmental science, and/or wildlife topics preferred.)
- Experience teaching preschool and/or elementary-school children.
- Creative lesson-planning skills.
- Knowledge of natural sciences and a love and appreciation for wildlife and conservation.
- First Aid/CPR/AED Certification is desirable.
Abilities and Skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong curriculum and lesson development skills.
- Ability to facilitate individual and group engagement in discussions and activities.
- Ability to supervise children effectively.
- Organizational skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Team player.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead 1.5-2 hour education programs.
- Develop creative lesson plans and submit for review at least one week prior to class start date.
- Provide age-appropriate, hands-on, educational experiences to children utilizing Zoo resources and artifacts.
- Lead Zoo Walks and facilitate participant engagement with exhibits.
- Supervise children in classroom and on Zoo Walks.
- Acquire and maintain working knowledge of Zoo animal facts and exhibit information.
- Prepare all materials and set up classroom before each class.
- Keep all classrooms neat and organized.
- Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit the following to Emily Porter (PorterEm@si.edu) by August 15, 2016.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for at least two professional references