Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Education AmeriCorps Member - Turtle Walk Focus
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 4:00pm
The GSTC Education Member essential functions will include, but are not limited to:
- Working in the exhibit gallery as exhibit Interpreters, assisting visitors with the various exhibit stations, providing supplemental information on the life history and behaviors of sea turtles
- Conducting daily programs for the public in the Center
- Leading classroom programs for school groups of all ages
- Giving presentations and tours and answering visitor questions on the rehabilitation pavilion walkway
- Assisting with and conducting outreach programs for people of all ages, in schools and for various community groups
- Assisting with special events, including annual events, Turtle Walks, Sunrise walks, sea turtle camp, etc.
- Assisting in the coordination and execution of seasonal turtle beach walks for the general public
- Assisting veterinary and research staff as needed and permissible by Education Staff
- Positive attitude
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Education or experience in environmental science or marine biology
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and with a team
- Basic computer skills
- A desire to learn
- Flexible daily schedule
- Ability to stand for long periods of time in extreme heat and humidity.
- 18+ yrs of age
- 3rd year Undergraduate or beyond
- 1yr working in an educational setting
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Ability to obtain US. Drivers license
- Ability to pass Georgia State and FBI Fingerprint background check
- Preferred (but not required): B.S. in Education, Environmental or Marine Science (experience may supplement for degree); knowledge of curriculum standards and current teaching methodology
Position Start Date:
Thursday, March 1, 2018
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (phone and email addresses) online at: https://www.jekyllisland.com/careers
Salary and benefits: Stipend, island amenities, education award at completion of service term. Housing available.
Housing: On-site shared house with utilities will be available. $100 dollar ($50 refundable) deposit required upon arrival with $200 rent deducted from stipend automatically each month. Houses are air-conditioned and equipped with basic furniture, Wi-Fi, kitchen and bathroom supplies. You must provide your own linens, towels, & food. Not provided by employer but available: telephone, and cable. Temporary JI parking pass will be supplied. Please note, pets are not allowed in housing.
*Travel and transportation costs will not be covered by GSTC or Jekyll Island Authority.
*Essential functions need to be able to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Mrs. Nicole Thomas