Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 12:00am
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Note: There are also secondary functions, which the employee will be required to perform.)
- Coordinates educational programs with schools, volunteers, and the general public.
- Teaches planned curriculum to students at the Center and through outreach programs.
- Develops and/or modifies K - 5 curriculums to meet Sunshine State Standards, Scope and Sequence, and St. Lucie County Benchmarks. May develop new 6 - 12 curriculum to meet Sunshine State Standards, Scope and Sequence, and St. Lucie County Benchmarks.
- Develops and conducts educational programs for volunteers (Touch Tank Protocol, Manatee Education, Neighborhood Naturalist I, Neighborhood Naturalist II, etc.).
- Develops teacher-in-service programs.
- Encourages volunteerism through recruiting, training, and motivating volunteers to assist with educational programs.
- Develops and leads at least three, week-long summer camps.
- Acts as liaison with teachers and schools. Contacts schools about classes, schedules classes, and mails and/or e-mails support materials.
- Teaches special programs for both children and adults (tours, camps, festivals and special events)
- Provides input and assistance with outreach events (festivals, tours and special events).
- Schedules tours and field trips for community groups who visit the Center.
- Assists with daily operation of Center, including opening and closing as schedule permits.
- Attends monthly volunteer meeting and staff meetings.
- Assists with creating and maintaining educational displays/exhibits, including food preparation and feeding of live animals and selection of specimens.
- Organizes and maintains education equipment and supplies.
- Develops educational brochures, assists in marketing education programs, including social media and updates to ManateeCenterEducation.org website, and distributes educational materials requested by visitors, phone inquiries and internet inquiries.
- Evaluates curriculum success and records data pertaining to number of classes conducted, dates of classes, number of students and chaperones in class, grade level, name of school and teacher(s).
- Flexibility to maintain a varying work schedule and track number of hours worked.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science or Education with 5 years of experience in natural resource or teaching field.
- Courses in curriculum development and/or curriculum development experience preferred.
- General experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and Power Point required.
- Ability to pass basic Word test with a score of at least 70% and basic Excel with a score of at least 60%.
- A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Explain ecological and biological concepts to classes and groups of all ages and abilities.
- Work with the public as well as a volunteer team.
- Work independently, as well as with others.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Communicate both orally and in writing.
- Florida State Sunshine Standards, Scope and Sequence and St. Lucie County Benchmarks.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Work may require limited travel in the local vicinity. A valid State of Florida Driver’s License is required. Some weekend and evening work is required.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
Ability to drag a seine net through the water. Moderate lifting and carrying. Ability to traverse various outdoor environments. Ability to carry and load outreach materials, tables, chairs and various other equipment. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability. Temporary modifications to provide reasonable accommodations do not waive any essential functions of the job requirements.
This position will require both inside and outside work.
How to Apply:
We are affiliated with Fort Pierce Utilities Authority. To be considered for this position, please apply to www.fpua.com. Click on "Careers" at the top of the homepage to be taken to where you can apply.