Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, September 16, 2016, 5:00pm
As a nonprofit environmental education company, Nature’s Academy's mission is to enhance STEM literacy and foster environmental stewardship. We work with schools and other organizations to engage citizens in experiential programs, designed to increase academic success and environmental awareness throughout the local community and beyond.
Nature’s Academy is seeking a bright, dedicated, hard-working, and enthusiastic Education Specialist to help facilitate outdoor programs. The ideal candidate should be able to successfully fulfill the requirements, job responsibilities, and qualifications listed below.
The Education Specialist will work during scheduled field trip programs and be available evenings and weekends as needed. The candidate must have reliable transportation to get to and from all Nature’s Academy sites and must have a personal cell phone for staff and emergency communication directly related to educational programming. Due to the nature of this position’s work with children, candidates will be subject to a criminal background check before hire.
- Lead and teach hands-on, outdoor, environmental science programs (both day and overnight excursions).
- Maintain a positive, solution-oriented attitude as challenges arise, such as inclement weather conditions.
- Coordinate Citizen Science Database and monthly reports
- Assist with education program and facility supply, inventory and maintenance.
- Assist with administrative tasks, including education program data entry and tracking and correspondence with teachers and other clients.
- BA/BS in natural sciences, environmental studies or related field.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with children and adapting programs to various ages.
- Classroom management and teaching skills.
- Capable of working long-hours outdoors in typical and inclement coastal Florida weather (hot and humid).
- Comfortable in and around the water and handling marine animals.
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna OR an ability to quickly learn.
- Customer service oriented, including the ability to continuously convey positivity and politeness.
- Open to feedback and willing to be coached.
- Effective communication and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification; Lifeguard certification a plus.
- Able to lift at least 50 lbs.
How to Apply:
We seek candidates with experience in environmental and/or educational work who share our passion for teaching the next generation of STEM literate environmental stewards. If interested, please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Education Specialist” in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled, with a projected start date of October 2016.
Pay commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes paid time off, complete health care package, cell phone stipend and opportunity to advance your skills and position in a growing company.