Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, February 27, 2022, 11:45pm
Website:The Wetlands Institute
The Wetlands Institute, located in Stone Harbor, New Jersey, is currently accepting applications for the full-time position of Environmental Educator. Applicant must be enthusiastic and have strong personal feelings about conserving and protecting the environment, ecological research, and environmental education.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Performing the oversight, development and implementation of the following education programs:
- Summer Nature Program (SNP): A nine-week summer program for children ages 4-13 that educate youth about general coastal ecology and related topics through the use of field trips, games, crafts, experiments, hands-on learning and other appropriate teaching techniques.
- Nature Education for Homeschool Students and Teachers (NEHST): A nine-month homeschool program for students ages 5-13+ consisting of a monthly lesson that includes classroom instruction, outdoor activities, scientific experiments and exploration, and related at-home extension activities.
- Scouting Programs: A wide range of customized Girl Scout and Boy Scouts of America badge attainment programs for a variety of levels including Daisy, Brownie, Junior, Cadette, Senior and Ambassador; and Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelo, and Scouts BSA.
- Youth Overnight Programs: Full immersion, customized youth overnights for children ages 5-13 occurring at The Wetlands Institute for school groups, scout groups, homeschool groups and other youth organizations.
- School Contract Programs: Partnership programs with local areas schools for students in grades K-8 that provide year-long, multi-engagement programs that follow a specialized curriculum developed by The Wetlands Institute and customized to the needs of each school.
- Scheduling, coordinating, teaching and assessment of aforementioned program areas, as well as, providing training, scheduling, and direct supervision of all seasonal instructors hired to assist with the SNP program and adult and junior volunteers assigned to volunteer with SNP.
- Assist with the scheduling, coordination, and implementation of specialized education workshops and/or the development and implementation of new program areas.
- Acting as Manager on Duty (MOD) responsible for site safety, building open/closing procedures, and public programming, including aquarium feedings, salt marsh safaris, creature features, science features, teaching tank and other public programs.
- Leading additional environmental education initiatives including, but not limited to, on-site and off-site school programs, including Science Education at Sea (SEAS), Traveling Environmental Education (TEE), Environmental Education Field Trips Programs, year-round public programs, community outreach events, staff training, and special events.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Sufficient education and training to demonstrate an ability or aptitude to perform the above and related duties. A bachelor degree in biology, marine biology, zoology, earth sciences, education, environmental science and/or related field with at least 5 years’ experience in environmental education.
- Demonstrated experience working with and creating programs for niche audiences including homeschool groups, special education students, scouting groups, and/or other specialized youth based organizations.
- Current accreditations needed to comply with scouting including current certification as a Merit Badge Counselor with the Boy Scouts of America.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Previous experience with volunteer coordination, public speaking and/or teaching experience to a variety of groups of all sizes and age levels is preferred.
- Experience and comfort in the coordination and scheduling of education programs, as well as, the management and direct supervision of seasonal staff and/or volunteers.
- Proficiency with computer systems and software including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with effective time management and organizational skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including sun, rain, and wind, and exhibit comfortability working on a boat on the Inter-coastal Waterway, Delaware Bay, and Atlantic Ocean.
- Frequent physical activities including loading and unloading, lifting, pushing and pulling items up to 50-75 pounds; reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing, crouching and prolonged periods of sitting, standing or walking.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation with suitable space to transport bulky bins of educational materials to off-site program locations.
- Ability to work a shifted work week schedule that includes some weekends, evenings and overnights.
- Final candidate will be subject to a background check.
This information is not designed to be a complete inventory of the job duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Rather, it is designed to give the general nature and level of work to be performed by an employee assigned to this job title.
The Wetlands Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job-related factors.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and references to Brooke Knapick, Director of Educational Program Development (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application deadline is February 27, 2022.
Salary commensurate with experience. We provide a competitive employment package, which includes medical, dental, and vision benefits, matching contributions to a 403b retirement plan, and a generous paid vacation and paid-time-off policy.