Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Groundwork Hudson Valley works to make neglected neighborhoods more livable and sustainable through an array of on-the ground environmental projects that directly involve local residents and the support of business and government. Established in 2000, Groundwork Hudson Valley has led efforts to restore the Saw Mill River and build urban trails. Additionally, the organization expands healthy food production and access, provides sustainability education and summer employment to youth, facilitates community planning efforts, builds and maintains parks, playgrounds, and gardens, and supports local art projects. Groundwork Hudson Valley currently has a team of 20 dedicated and passionate staff members, and the organization has engaged in exciting partnerships with the National Park Service and US-EPA. For more information, please visit www.groundworkhv.org.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is part of the Groundwork USA network, the only national network of local organizations devoted to transforming the natural and built environment of low-income communities. Working at the intersection of environment, equity and civic engagement, Groundwork “Trusts” across the nation develop community partnerships which empower people, businesses, and organizations to promote environmental, economic, and social well-being. For more information, please visit www.groundworkusa.org.
Under its founding Executive Director, Groundwork Hudson Valley has seen immense impact through its robust range of programs and initiatives, including the Get Fresh Yonkers Farmers Market, the Yonkers RailTrail, and the Science Barge urban farm and environmental education center. Today, the organization is seeking an entrepreneurial Executive Director to build on its successes to date and lead the continued growth and evolution of Groundwork Hudson Valley. The Executive Director will develop the organization’s strategic direction and work hands-on with staff and Board members to align new strategies with all aspects of the organization’s program, fundraising, and administrative activities. Additionally, the Executive Director will play a key external role, promoting the organization’s work and cultivating relationships with a diverse range of supporters and stakeholders.
Groundwork Hudson Valley’s dynamic and passionate group of staff, Board members, and volunteers are deeply committed to furthering environmental and social justice in their community. The incoming Executive Director will benefit from the strength of this team and the organization’s current suite of programs. S/he will also find ample opportunities to develop innovative and creative solutions to the community’s needs, making this a particularly exciting opportunity to shape the future of Groundwork Hudson Valley.
- Partner with the Board of Directors on setting the strategic direction for Groundwork Hudson Valley and identifying unique opportunities for the organization to develop new initiatives
- Oversee all budgeting efforts, including budget development and management and financial reporting, in collaboration with key staff
- Work with staff to plan, implement, and evaluate program activities and to document and communicate Groundwork Hudson Valley’s successes and results
- Manage and develop staff, including hiring, delegating appropriate responsibilities, team-building, coaching, and evaluation
- Uphold Groundwork Hudson Valley’s culture and values by fostering a positive, team-oriented environment
Fundraising and External Collaboration
- Oversee the development of a sustainable fundraising strategy that will position the organization to grow its budget (currently $1.5 million) and attract unrestricted funds
- Lead the implementation of the fundraising strategy, identifying appropriate funding opportunities and playing a key role in grant writing and donor stewardship
- Cultivate and manage diverse relationships with community members, community-based organizations, city agencies, elected officials at all levels of government, charitable foundations and other funding sources
- Communicate with Groundwork USA and other Groundwork Trusts, local partners, and federal, state, county, and municipal agencies including the National Park Service and US-EPA
- Passion for Groundwork Hudson Valley’s mission and values around social and environmental justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
- Strategic and visionary nonprofit leader with at least 5 years’ experience in leadership roles, with success in managing programs and teams
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing fundraising strategies, with particular strength in grant writing and raising funds from government, foundation, and corporate sources
- Skilled relationship-builder and spokesperson, able to engage a diverse range of partners and donors as well as community members and program participants
- Effective staff manager who can leverage and channel individual team members’ strengths as well as foster a positive team environment through respect, patience, and a sense of humor
- Experience in budget development and contract management
- High level of cultural competency and respect for all stakeholders, with experience working in multi-cultural settings
- Prior success in partnering with a Board of Directors or similar advisory structure
- Track record of excellence in fast-paced environments; ability to innovate and lead cohesive efforts within ambiguous circumstances
- Previous experience in a mission-driven organization with programming related to environmental issues, conservancy, community development, youth development, education, and/or urban planning
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Spanish language proficiency (verbal and written) considered a plus
How to Apply:
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word or PDF format, addressed to the Groundwork Hudson Valley Hiring Committee at
http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1600000hR7tG&tSource=. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Groundwork Hudson Valley offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
Groundwork Hudson Valley has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for an Executive Director. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.