Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Facilities & Grounds Manager
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The Aldo Leopold Nature Center (ALNC) seeks an experienced, self-reliant and organized individual to serve as Facilities & Grounds Manager. ALNC is a non-profit educational organization guided by Aldo Leopold’s land ethic, with a mission to engage and educate current and future generations, empowering them to respect, protect, and enjoy the natural world. ALNC annually serves over 50,000 children, teachers, members and families through year-round programming including school fieldtrips, summer camps, and public and private events.
ALNC is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and serving a more diverse staff and community, and qualified applicants of under-represented backgrounds and identities are encouraged to apply.
This individual is responsible for the maintenance and operation of facilities and grounds, ensuring safe, functional, sustainable and attractive physical environments at the Aldo Leopold Nature Center. Responsibilities involve performing a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities in all types of weather, including, but not limited to:
- Year-round and preventive maintenance, upkeep, inspection and repair of all nature center facilities, building systems, grounds, and equipment, including preparing and maintaining maintenance records, inventories and procedures.
- Seasonal grounds maintenance, such as: lawn mowing, snow removal, trail & dock maintenance and restoration work.
- Service and repair of facilities, grounds & equipment, including but not limited to: carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, landscaping, chainsaw operation, painting, and coordination with contractors and vendors.
- Moderate to heavy lifting is required along with other strenuous physical activity. Examples include: moving brush, shoveling snow, splitting & stacking firewood, spreading mulch, and moving furniture and equipment.
- Custodial responsibilities, including coordination of regular cleaning services and trash removal combined with daily cleaning routine.
- Service, repair, and maintenance of building systems (HVAC, electrical, plumbing systems), including coordination with contractors and vendors as needed.
- Daily upkeep of sidewalks and drives, including sweeping and clearing walks, decks, and pathways before programs and office hours.
- Following safety protocols and building codes, management of service contracts and coordination of regular inspections and testing of fire sprinkler, fire extinguisher, elevator, etc.
- Serving as primary contact for the Nature Center’s security system and responding to 24-hour emergency calls.
- Issuing staff security codes and facility keys; providing new staff with documentation and training on building and emergency procedures.
- Implementation of sustainable practices and efficiencies.
- Management and coordination of volunteers, land stewards, students and other diverse individuals.
- Participate actively in ALNC’s Monona site renovation (currently slated for fall 2018 – fall 2019), including working with architects and builders on planning, design and implementation of facility and landscaping upgrades and strategic initiatives.
Ideal candidate will have a successful track record and resourcefulness in overseeing and resolving facilities and grounds matters. S/he will be a motivated and organized self-starter, demonstrate a superior work ethic, have the ability to manage time and resources effectively, organize and plan efficiently, work independently and pleasantly with staff and guests, and represent the Nature Center in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated experience and successful background in facilities and grounds management.
- Interest in environmental issues and practices, such as ecological land management, energy conservation, green building, and sustainability.
- Ability to lift heavy objects and conduct strenuous physical activity.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and technical information.
- Strong project management skills, including ability to prioritize tasks, develop daily/weekly/seasonal/annual work plans, and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to coordinate with staff and volunteers within and across departments to ensure safety, efficiency and smooth daily operations throughout facility and grounds.
- Effective communication and successful work relations with vendors, subcontractors, consultants and partners.
- Experience with creating and managing departmental budgets and expense control.
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Word, email, facility/equipment management software, and related programs.
- Team player who can handle multiple tasks simultaneously and shift gears quickly.
- Reliable transportation and current driver’s license.
- Character traits that include patience, reliable performance and strong work ethic.
- Successful candidates must pass a Nature Center background check.
- Experience working with air handling units, condensers, and boilers.
- Familiarity with and understanding of integrated building systems and ability to implement updates and efficiency measures.
- Familiarity with usage, upkeep and troubleshooting of equipment and small engines, such as mowers, snow blower, chainsaw, power tools, etc.
- Leadership and supervisory experience.
- Creative and adaptive strategic thinker, with strong problem-solving, organizational and administrative skills.
- Degree, training or certificate in building, land, or maintenance trade or related field.
Commensurate with experience. The Aldo Leopold Nature Center offers a competitive benefits package to qualified employees.
This is a full-time position, primarily Mondays-Fridays. Occasional weekend or evening hours will be required due to events & public programs.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume to Brenna Holzhauer, Director of Operations & Strategic Initiatives, email@example.com
Application materials will be reviewed beginning December 15, 2017.