Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The Fairchild Challenge Data and Communications Coorinator
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, in Coral Gables, Florida is seeking a talented and motivated individual to coordinate innovative elementary school environmental science programs as a part of The Fairchild Challenge.
In recent years, Fairchild has developed robust, off-site high school programs to prepare local students for careers in plant science. The Fairchild Challenge brings plant research into high school classrooms throughout South Florida, while the new BioTech @Richmond Magnet High School includes a specialized botany curriculum. The Challenge and BioTECH programs are linked with Fairchild’s major science initiatives, including the Million Orchid Project and the Growing Beyond Earth partnership with NASA.
The Fairchild Challenge Data and Communications Coordinator position will be responsible for the creation of a data management system, data analysis and communications for citizen science initiatives within Fairchild’s award-winning Fairchild Challenge program. Additionally, this position will work with the team to coordinate the day-to-day administration of the Fairchild Challenge.
- BS in Computer Science/Technology, Data Science, Research Administration, Data Analytics, with a strong interest biological science
- Or, BS in Biology, Environmental Sciences with a strong background in data management and communications
- Extensive experience with Google Suite (including docs, sheets, forms, sites)
- Experience performing statistical analysis
- Experience managing, extracting, interpreting, analyzing and communicating information from large data sets
- An effective communicator who is experienced in speaking to diverse groups of people
- A team player with a positive, can-do attitude who is flexible, proactive and can anticipate and troubleshoot program details
- Creative, organized, efficient and detail orientated, with a strong work ethic
Citizen Science Data Management System
- Create, maintain and manage a comprehensive data management system for all citizen science research projects implemented through the education department at Fairchild
- Produce tools which allow for regular communication of the data to researchers, teachers, students, Fairchild administrators and the community.
- Train staff, teachers and students how to access and utilize the system through
- in-person, online and video trainings.
- Conduct data analysis and prepare materials to communication results.
- Identify a vehicle/method that works with our current website and google docs to continuous updates that incoming data in a easily understandable format for our website.
- Regularly update the Fairchild Challenge website to reflect current initiative, resources and program details.
- Develop systems to integrate social media posts, training videos, and graphic representations of current data from citizen science projects on our website.
- Identify a tool/method for teachers and students to communicate with researchers.
- Daily, post and report program information regularly to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms
- Respond to questions and concerns raised through social media.
- Field all program related questions posted via social media and redirect all more detailed questions and requests to the lead specialist.
- Maintaining regular communication with teachers, administrators and partners
- Work with the team to plan and implement program events
- Working with the team to develop yearly challenge and associated materials
- Coordinating volunteers who assist with the administration of the program
- Create all program related forms and survey materials in google docs, forms, sheets, etc.
- Create necessary materials for internal and external reports
- Assembling Challenge timelines, reports, and statistics on an ongoing basis that serve to document the progress and create an archival record of the program
- Other tasks as determined by the Director of Education
This position reports to the Director of Education and works closely with science and education staff.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Marilyn Caputo, Education Program Assistant, at email@example.com.