Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Family & Youth Education Internship
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
- Design themed art projects, demonstrations, and self-guided activities for visitors, as well as visitor experience materials (posters, flyers, activity kits, handouts, and signage). Daily themes may include insects, fish, ocean animals, pond life, polar wildlife, ecosystems, and local conservation efforts
- Assist with school, youth and family programs including backyard study, birding trips, coastal trips, salt marsh walks, ponding, boat cruises, and drop-in weekend programs and public events
- Provide and develop interpretation of touch tank and pond tank to visitors
- Maintain our 110- and 50- gallon cold marine aquarium tanks; care for and feed their inhabitants (coastal invertebrates and fish); perform necessary tank maintenance
- Maintain necessary housing, care, and feeding for temporary seasonal “guests” (tadpoles, insects, etc.) and provide interpretation for visitors
- Lead bi-monthly collecting trips to release tank organisms and collect new ones (often starting at 8 am)
- Bring live animals, teaching displays and interactives into the community for public events and festivals. Some evenings and weekends
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- First aid & CPR certified. Courses can be scheduled if necessary. Registration and fee required
- Experience interacting with people of all ages, interests, and backgrounds
- Demonstrates creativity, reliability, flexibility, and enthusiasm, and strong oral and written communication skills
- Local knowledge of New England coastal ecology and rocky shore species a plus but not required
- Experience leading teens in a team-like atmosphere
- Experience with outdoor activities such as birding and tide pooling
- Experience with tank maintenance, animal care, and feeding (salt water preferred)
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver's)
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is an unpaid internship.
- Additional Comments
- The term for this unpaid internship is mid-May through late-August. Extensions may be possible. Joppa Flats is seeking four interns for this position.
How to Apply:
How to Apply
No phone calls please.
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Lisa Hutchings – School & Youth Education Coordinator