Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, April 30, 2018, 5:00pm
Website:Calypso Farm & Ecology Center
CALYPSO'S FARM EDUCATOR
HOURS: approximately 40 hours per week—some weeks in the summer may be less depending on the field trip schedule
POSITION LENGTH: April 3—September 29, 2018
Founded in 2000, Calypso Farm and Ecology Center’s mission is to promote local agriculture and environmental awareness through hands-on education in natural and farming ecosystems. We do this through a variety of educational programs – for young and old – both on the farm and in the community. In all of our programs, we strive to increase access to and awareness of the benefits of purchasing and eating local foods. Learn more about us at www.calypsofarm.org!
Calypso’s Farm Educator is primarily responsible for coordinating and implementing field trips for school aged children at Calypso Farm from late April through September. Calypso has developed a number of successful and popular field trip themes exploring garden and forest ecology (we always welcome new ideas!) for visiting public and private schools, pre-schools, day care centers, summer programs, local organizations, home school and independent family groups.
The Farm Educator will promote and schedule field trips, coordinate trip volunteer educators (“Docents”), and run engaging field trips from spring to fall! Field trips are broken into small groups of 6-8 children, each with an adult leader, and move around the farm and surrounding forest exploring and doing activities. Field trips last 2 hours on average, and are scheduled at least once a day in the spring and fall and an average of 4/week during the summer. The Farm Educator will also work alongside Calypso’s Camp Director for Farm Camp sessions and school garden-based LEAF Camp sessions in June & July.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Promotion & Planning
- Update and revise (as needed) – the spring, summer and fall field trip offerings
- Promote the field trip offerings to all potential participants
- Post several times weekly on Calypso’s social media sites about our farm based education
Scheduling, Recording & Evaluation
- Communicate with the rest of the Calypso staff about field trip scheduling, participate in weekly Staff meetings and/or check-in with a Calypso staff member weekly
- Schedule field trips throughout the season
- Coordinate directly with each field trip group leader via email or phone to provide necessary information and get all necessary paperwork from them
- Conduct field trip evaluation during (with kids) and after (with docents and group leaders) each field trip
- Track field trip statistics and feedback daily
- Compile all evaluation into an end of season report
Field Trip Operations
- Gather and create (as needed) materials needed for each field trip to function
- Implement engaging field trips!
- Adhere to Calypso’s Field Trip Safety Policy
- Clean up all supplies after each field trip and keep supplies organized throughout season
Volunteers (“Farm Docents”)
- Recruit, coordinate and train field trip volunteers (“Farm Docents”) from the community - this is often the most challenging part of the job!
- Work with the Camp Director on Farm Camp and LEAF Camp curriculum and plans
- Work as a Lead Counselor at Farm Camps and LEAF Camps
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Environmental Education experience
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Believe in Calypso’s mission
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Must have a reliable vehicle to get to the farm
- Work well under pressure
- Able to troubleshoot on the spot
- A good sense of humor!
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, April 3, 2018
How to Apply:
Position Open Until Filled! Send a resume, 3 work-related references and answers to the questions below to Christie Shell, Calypso's Assistant Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted shortly about interviews.
1, Describe why you are interested in being Calypso’s Farm Educator.
2. Describe your most relevant experience that will aid you in this position.
3. Give a work-related example to demonstrate your organizational skills.
4. Are you available from April through the end of September?
5. If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?
6. How did you hear about this position?
- Farm lunches M-F from May - September
- CSA vegetables season from June - September