Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Farm to School Educator, AmeriCorps
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Provide garden education in schools and at the Urban Roots’ Teaching Farm that builds an improved sense of academic engagement and preference for healthy fruits and vegetables.
- Lead/teach lessons in the classroom and on the Teaching Farm in accordance with provided curriculum and training;
- Develop lessons to improve existing curriculum;
- Assist schools with installation and maintenance of school gardens to be used as outdoor classrooms;
- Design/lead workshops to train volunteers to install/maintain school gardens
- Utilize and mentor interns & volunteers assisting with education programs;
- Design and lead teacher trainings on lessons and best practices to effectively use school gardens as a teaching tool;
Provide workshops to community members to improve food security and increased knowledge of sustainable agriculture practices in our region.
- Lead/teach workshops at Urban Roots or partner organizations in accordance with established curriculum and training;
- Develop materials to improve workshops or provide new workshops with these topics as the focus;
- Implement and maintain sustainable agriculture practices to use hands-on training techniques within workshop and maintaining teaching supplies and spaces;
Secondary and Related responsibilities:
Identify problems or areas for improvement, make suggestions and design solutions to lessons, teaching spaces, and teaching techniques implemented at Urban Roots.
- Maintain teaching supplies and teaching spaces;
- Assist the Urban Roots’ team to complete projects on the farm to enhance the Farm to School program for participants and school partners;
- Positive attitude and passion for the Urban Roots’ mission;
- Provide a fun and safe learning environment for all participants;
- Professionally represent and be a positive ambassador for Urban Roots & partners during community events;
- Collect and report program statistics;
- Participate in daily AmeriCorps team meetings.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic word processing and data management skills;
- Ability to effectively lead workshops for both small and large groups of participants; children, adult, and mixed ages;
- Ability to successfully use education standards such as Common Core standards for reading and math and Next Generation Science Standards for lesson plan development.
Required Academic and Experience Qualifications:
- Experience working with K-12 children in a formal or informal education setting;
- Experience and/or strong interest in environmental education and sustainable agriculture;
- Coursework in environmental education or a related field, Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Willingness to complete labor-intensive farm work;
- Willingness to work closely with a small team;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Successful completion of a background check, education training, severe allergy training, and CPR/First Aid Training;
- Must be over 18 years of age;
- Must be a US citizen that has received a high school diploma or equivalent, or agree to earn a high school diploma or equivalent before using an educational award.
- All applicants must be available for the entirety of the service period and able to serve on a full-time basis;