Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Forestry Crew Member/Leader
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, March 20, 2017, 4:30pm
AmeriCorps Lake County Forestry Crew Members and Leader (ages 18-25) will participate in on-the-job training to learn natural resources management skills and put those skills into practice working on projects throughout Lake County, working exclusively alongside Lake Soil and Water Conservation District Staff. Leader and Member positions involve physically challenging, team-oriented outdoor service. The Crew Leader serves directly with Crew Members, monitoring project performance and safety and providing on-site education, training and development. The Crew will complete fuels reduction, timber stand improvement, invasive species management and other watershed practices throughout Lake County: cutting trees/brush (with brush and chainsaw), piling brush, burning piles, chemically treating weeds/brush and other assigned tasks.
- AmeriCorps service position (ages 18-25)
- Location: Two Harbors, MN
- Term dates: May 22 (Crew Leaders: May 15) – December 15, 2017
- Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. typical.
- Stipend: Crew Leader $1690/mo; Crew Member $1355/mo
Education award: $2887.50 upon successful completion of term
- Ability to work well with others in a team setting.
- Strong desire to learn new skills.
- Positive attitude and interest in service and community work.
- Dedication to complete the full term of AmeriCorps service.
Crew Leader (in addition to above Crew Member qualifications):
- Previous experience in a leadership role
- Ability to independently lead a crew of 4 members (ages 18-25)
- Effective communication skills
- Experience/education in forestry and habitat restoration work
- Experience in hand and power tool safety and small engine repair
- Previous Corps experience preferred
- 18-25 years old.
- Able to complete an arduous Work Capacity Test. The arduous level requires individuals to walk 3 miles in 45 minutes while carrying a 45 pound pack on level terrain.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate week-long out of town assignments and emergency response.
- Full term of service must be completed in order to receive the education award.
- Crew Leaders Only: Valid driver’s license and safe driving record (no major moving violations or DUI’s in the past five years).
- Learn valuable job and leadership skills applicable to any career
- Earn an AmeriCorps education award for school expenses or to pay off qualified student loans
- Learn about current environmental issues and network with natural resource professionals
- Get field experience and gain natural resource management skills
For more details and a complete list of qualifications and requirements, please visit our application page.