Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Garden and Permaculture Education Intern
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 11:00pm
Website:Riveredge Nature Center
The intern will work creatively with the Riveredge Nature Center team of staff and volunteers to develop and maintain the organic garden, outdoor kitchen, and the permaculture site for use by Riveredge Nature Journeys Summer Camps and other educational groups.
- Assist in the planting and care fo the Children's Organic Garden and the Woodland Harvest permaculture farm site under the guidance of the Buildings and Grounds Manager.
- Create opportunities for summer campers to engage in the garden and the permaculture farm by monitoring crop growth and ripeness and sharing garden news with camp leaders.
- Learn about environmental education by assisting with three week-long garden-focused summer camp sessions for ages 5-12.
- Complete weekly garden and farm activities including:sowing, transplanting, weeding watering, havesting, fertilizing, compostin and pest control.
- Maintain an on-going list of garden activities and work needs for camp groups, staff, and volunteers.
- Develop and implement meaningful educational activities related to the organic garden, outdoor kitchen, and permaculture plantings.
In addition to the responsibilities, the Garden and Permaculture Education Intern is expected to meet the following expectations set forth to all staff members of Riveredge Nature Center:
- Meaningfully contribute to the Riveredge staff team. This includes helping with projects, programs and events that may fall outside of the primary duties or departments of this position description.
- Foster an inclusive and supportive environment through personal actions such as supporting and helping other staff members and volunteers.
- Provide high quality customer service experiences to all guests and volunteers.
- Strive for excellence and innovation.
- A college junior or senior with completed coursework in environmental sciences, natural resources, agriculture, education, or a related field or have obtained a Bachelor's degree in one of the fields.
- Self-starter and self-directed with a well-developed ability to work independently.
- Able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Able to perform lifting and bending associated with gardening.
- Enjoys working with children of all ages and families.
- Enthusiastic, positive, motivated and like to have fun on the job.
- Ability to work as a member of a team by sharing decision making while personally assuming and also asking for responsibility and accountability.
- Experience with vegetable gardening, farming, or environmental education for children.
- Good communication skills, punctual, creative and energetic.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people of all ages and abilities.
Position Start Date:
Monday, June 5, 2017
How to Apply:
Email your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (in PDF or Word Format) to email@example.com no later than March 15, 2017 to the attention of Sunny Knutson, Director of Education. http://www.riveredgenaturecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2017-Garden-and-Permaculture-Intern-position-description.pdf