Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center Manager
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs difficult professional and intermediate administrative work in supervising and coordinating the educational, recreational, conservation and environmental programs of the complex with all the entities that share the use of the property. Duties include oversight of the programs, operations, communications/public relations, volunteers and partnerships. This encompasses the Nature Center buildings, public exhibits, environmental programs, sea turtle program, and facilitation with the FAU laboratory facility, and Friends of Gumbo Limbo. Work is performed under general supervision. Supervision is exercised over all Gumbo Limbo personnel, volunteers, and Sea Turtle Conservation staff and contract staff.
- Administers city policy and performs administrative activities related to offering public education programs through coordination/cooperation with the partnering entities of the Nature Center, including: Florida Atlantic University, The Greater Boca Raton Beach & Park District, and Friends of Gumbo Limbo, under the supervision of Recreation Services Administration;
- Formulates and coordinates plans for future development of the centers' programs and continued full use of facilities with center stakeholders;
- Provides professional leadership and oversees Nature Center operations and programs, staff, and volunteers related to public programs and outreach;
- Prepares and administers budget; oversees purchases of equipment, materials, and supplies maintains property and center inventories;
- Coordinates with the FDEP, FWC, US Army Corps of Engineers or any regulatory bodies in the acquisition of permits necessary for operations;
- Oversees the development of interpretive programs, exhibits, the Sea Turtle conservation program, and the rehabilitation facility;
- Conducts public use/patron surveys; maintains working knowledge of scientific research related to the city's Sea Turtle Conservation Program, and Rehab program;
- Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates full-time and part-time subordinates;
- Coordinates public outreach, communications, and development of public and private partnerships to further the mission of the Nature Center.
- Oversees programs and the Turtle Conservation Program, including beach monitoring and the Rehabilitation facility;
- Coordinates agreements with Florida Atlantic University, Greater Boca Raton Beach Park District and other regulatory agencies of the State of Florida;
- Assists with supervision and training of volunteers; coordinates community public relations, volunteers and other interested groups and organizations;
- Responsible for maintenance and security of grounds and provisions of services;
- Acts as a liaison to non-profit staff and board of the Friends of Gumbo Limbo in coordination of fundraising activities within the operations and development of the center;
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge and ability to assist with the administration and management of a public Nature Center; ability to develop environmental education programs and exhibits: understanding of local government; understanding of nonprofit organizations and public fund raising; thorough knowledge of developing and overseeing a significant division budget; thorough knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of work; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with environmental center staff, volunteers, facility stakeholders, outside agencies, diverse groups, and individuals in developing and presenting programs; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to prepare accurate reports; ability to present public presentations, speeches, marketing programs, handling press releases and grant writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university with major course work in Natural Science and/or Management and extensive experience in operating and leading a nature center/ museum, or similar facility, or other management experience in a public education / community center setting. Master's degree preferred.
Possession of a valid State of Florida driver's license with no more than six (6) points in the past three (3) years.
How to Apply:
The City of Boca Raton only accepts online applications through the City's website. You must complete all sections of the online application and meet all minimum qualifications to be considered for a position.
To be considered for employment with the City of Boca Raton, applicants must provide at least ten (10) years of continuous employment history, if applicable. In the event the applicant has not been employed for ten (10) continuous years, all time for the ten (10) year period prior to the date of application must be accounted for including periods of inactivity, school, unemployment and retirement.
Failure to provide all information requested will result in the application being considered incomplete and the application will be null and void. In addition, falsification of the City's employment application may result in a refusal to hire or termination of employment.