Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Head Children's Leader of Nature Preschool
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, July 17, 2017, 12:00am
The Prince William County Department of Parks and Recreation is seeking a part-time benefited Head Children's Leader for a brand new, premier, Nature Preschool Program for children ages 3-5. This Head Children's Leader will have the opportunity to help shape a brand-new program from day one as he/she provides exceptional preschool care and education. The Head Children's Leader will help "Gro" – a Natural Education Space meet our mission of inspiring life-long connections with nature through education, play, and exploration in a premier preschool environment that supports the whole child's development while preparing children for school.
This nature based preschool is located at Gro - A Natural Education Space within Long Park in Haymarket, Virginia. The preschool will be open September 2017 - May 2018 with morning and afternoon sessions scheduled. The curriculum will include outdoor play and learning as well as indoor activities. Class sizes will range from 24 to 30 children with one Head Children's Leader and two children's leaders.
The Head Children's Leader of this premier program will be responsible for developing and teaching nature-based, developmentally appropriate, programming along with implementing the Department of Parks and Recreation Preschool Curriculum. This program will be state licensed; therefore, the Head Leader is also responsible for assuring compliance with the regulations pertaining to the Department of Social Services and best practices of early childhood education. The Head Children's Leader is responsible for the health, safety, and welfare of all children in the group. He/she will be creating a welcoming family environment and effectively communicating with parents and families individually and in groups including newsletters, emails, parent/teacher conferences, and social events. As this preschool program will prepare its children for school, the lead teacher will track the development of individual children, assess their needs, and create a plan based on those needs. The lead teacher will supervise and train support teaching staff for his/her classroom in partnership with the Recreation Specialist.
The typical schedule will be Monday-Friday from 8:30 am-4.00 pm with planning hours added as needed. Applicants must be at least 21 years old and meet the hiring qualifications outlined by the Department of Social Services for Child Care.
Salary: $12.93 - $17.45/hour
The Department of Parks & Recreation conducts DMV records checks as well as criminal background checks on all hires. Additional background checks through the State Police and Central Registry are conducted on all hires working in our Preschool program. Fingerprinting will also be required.
General Definition of Work, Typical tasks, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The statements in this class specification are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Responsible for planning and implementing age appropriate lessons and activities.
- Develops and evaluates lesson plans in accordance with program curriculum;
- Prepares materials for class projects;
- Supervises and evaluates part-time staff;
- Ensures the safety and security of children in the program;
- Maintains a safe and clean classroom environment per state licensing requirements;
- Effectively communicates with parents, managers and other staff members;
- Sets up and takes down room arrangements;
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to communicate with staff, parents and children both orally and in writing; knowledge of developmentally appropriate activities; ability to work in a team setting.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a High School Diploma and at least twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Certificates in Community CPR & First Aid, Medication Administration Training, Bloodborne Pathogen Training, certificate by a nationally recognized accrediting body whose staff qualification standards meet minimum state regulations.
- Must meet one of the following qualifications: (a) Endorsement or bachelor's degree in a child related field from an accredited college or university (b) 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours of college credit from an accredited college or university of which 12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours are in subjects relating to the group care of children (c) 2 years of programmatic experience with one year in a staff supervisory capacity and at least one of the following educational backgrounds (1) One-year early childhood certificate from a college or university that consists of at least 30 semester hours (2) High school program completion or equivalent and 480 hours of working with children in groups which could include a supervised practicum. Must complete an additional 16 hours of training per year in a child related field.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls;
- Must have physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine;
- Significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, and repetitive motions;
- Ability to move furniture at least weekly (50-75 pounds) and to carry and lift children (30–60 pounds) several times each day.
Background Checks, which may include but are not limited to: Criminal History Check, Credit History Check, Education Verification Check, License Verification Check, and/or Fingerprinting may be required as posted in the job advertisement.
How to Apply:
Please apply at the following website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pwcgov/jobs/1656270/head-childrens-leader-gro?keywords=childr...