Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp Assistant Leader
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 12:00pm
Camp Assistant Leader
Dates of Position:
June 15 – 30, and July 10 – August 11, 2017 (Monday-Friday plus two training days)
Approximately 40 hours per week between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp:
KIDS for the BAY (KftB) is in our seventeenth year of delivering a fun-filled summer of hands-on science and nature exploration in the outdoors, studying the environment of the San Francisco Bay Area. Camp includes science investigations, nature games, art activities, hiking, kayaking, swimming and many more adventures. Campers learn to care for the natural environment and become environmental stewards.
Camp sessions are one week long (Monday-Friday) between the hours of 8:30 am and 4 pm and take place at various natural habitats around the Berkeley area, including Lake Anza, Jewel Lake, Strawberry Creek, and Berkeley Marina. All sessions of camp include field trips to ocean beaches, exploring islands in the bay, visiting the Exploratorium, the Oakland Zoo, the Lindsay Wildlife Museum and many more exciting destinations.
Camp sessions are for campers ages 5-7 and 8-10. Campers ages 11 – 14 are Leaders in Training. Each week of camp is led and managed by a combination of Camp Leaders, Camp Assistant Leaders, and Camp Interns. Our camper-to-staff ratio is low, ensuring an enriching, safe, and positive camp experience. KftB also runs an after-care Nature Club from 4-5:30 pm.
Camp Assistant Leader (CAL) Responsibilities:
- Assist in leading hands-on nature, art, science, community-building and play activities;
- Supervise campers during snack, lunch, and free play times;
- Maintain a safe, respectful, positive camp environment and attend to campers’ individual needs; and
- Maintain positive, upbeat, and professional communication at all times.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Applicant must be 18 years by the first day of camp, June 19, 2017;
- Previous camp or other teaching experience;
- Ability to walk and hike along trails while carrying light equipment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Willingness to follow directions and work with a team of camp staff; and
- Confidence and ability to take initiative and take the lead when required.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of local creek, bay, and marine habitats and ecology;
- A reliable car to travel to/from various camp sites;
- Valid CPR/First Aid certification; and
- Any other relevant talents (e.g. storytelling, music, arts and crafts) is a plus.
The Camp Assistant Leader will be a temporary employee of Earth Island Institute (KftB’s fiscal sponsor), with employment beginning on June 15 and ending on August 11, 2017. The CAL will be paid $12/hour and will submit time sheets to receive paychecks semi-monthly. The position does not include any health benefits or paid vacation time, but does include worker’s compensation and unemployment benefits.
How to Apply:
Application Deadline, March 8, 2017. Apply early; interviews will be held as applications are received.
Your application package must include the following:
a cover letter and your resume, and
a list of two references with current contact information (email and phone number).
To apply, mail your application package to the address below. No e-mails or faxes please.
KIDS for the BAY
1771 Alcatraz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94703
KIDS for the BAY values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.