Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp Leader
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 12:00pm
Dates of Position:
June 14 – 30, and July 10 – August 11, 2017 (Monday-Friday plus three training days)
Approximately 40 hours per week between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp:
KIDS for the BAY (KftB) is in our seventeenth year of delivering a fun-filled summer of hands-on science and nature exploration in the outdoors, studying the environment of the San Francisco Bay Area. Camp includes science investigations, nature games, art activities, hiking, kayaking, swimming and many more adventures. Campers learn to care for the natural environment and become environmental stewards.
Camp sessions are one week long (Monday-Friday) between the hours of 8:30 am and 4 pm and take place at various natural habitats around the Berkeley area, including Lake Anza, Jewel Lake, Strawberry Creek, and Berkeley Marina. All sessions of camp include field trips to ocean beaches, exploring islands in the bay, visiting the Exploratorium, the Oakland Zoo, the Lindsay Wildlife Museum and many more exciting destinations.
Camp sessions are for campers ages 5-7 and 8-10. Campers ages 11 – 14 are Leaders in Training. Each week of camp is led and managed by a combination of Camp Leaders, Camp Assistant Leaders, and Camp Interns. Our camper-to-staff ratio is low, ensuring an enriching, safe, and positive camp experience. KftB also runs an after-care Nature Club from 4-5:30 pm.
Camp Leader Responsibilities:
- Review camp curricula and plan activities with other Camp Leaders;
- Lead hands-on nature, art, science, community-building and play activities each week of camp;
- Supervise campers during snack, lunch, and free play times;
- Maintain a safe, respectful, positive camp environment, while attending to the individual needs of the campers;
- Maintain positive, professional communication with camp parents/families at all times;
- Provide guidance, leadership, and support to Camp Assistant Leaders and Camp Interns;
- Contribute to the Camp Log to record daily highlights and quotes;
- Provide pictures of each camp session for the weekly Camp Highlights Flyer.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in education, environmental studies, science, or a related field;
- At least two years of experience teaching environmental, science, and/or outdoor education to elementary school aged youth;
- Ability to walk and hike along trails while carrying light equipment;
- Commitment to inclusive, multicultural environmental education;
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability and desire to be a positive role model;
- Willingness to follow direction from the Summer Camp Manager and to work in a team with other Camp Leaders;
- Confidence and ability to take initiative and take the lead, even in unfamiliar situations;
- Upbeat, positive, mature attitude and respectful communication approach;
- Valid CPR/First Aid certification; and
- A reliable car to travel to/from various camp sites.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of local creek, bay and marine habitats and ecology;
- Experience working in a youth camp setting; and
- Any other relevant talents (e.g. storytelling, music, arts and crafts) to contribute to the camp are a plus.
The Camp Leader will be a temporary employee of Earth Island Institute (KftB’s fiscal sponsor), with employment beginning on June 14 and ending on August 11, 2017. The CL will be paid $18/hour and will submit time sheets to receive paychecks semi-monthly. The position does not include any health benefits or paid vacation time, but does include worker’s compensation and unemployment benefits.
How to Apply:
Application Deadline, March 8, 2017. Apply early; interviews will be held as applications are received.
Your application package must include the following:
a cover letter and your resume, and
a list of two references with current contact information (email and phone number).
To apply, mail your application package to the address below. No e-mails or faxes please.
KIDS for the BAY
1771 Alcatraz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94703
KIDS for the BAY values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.