Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Land Conservation Leader
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, March 20, 2017, 12:00am
Biweekly stipend: Earn a living stipend of $800 every two weeks April 3-August 18 (Assistant Crew Leader) and $980 every two weeks August 21-December 15 (Co-Crew Leader).
AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $2,199.92 upon successful completion of each of the two 675-hour terms of service; totals $4,399.84 at successful completion of year-long term. These awards can be used to pay tuition or payback qualifying student loans.
This is a temporary position, from April 3, 2017 – December 15, 2017.
Two 675 hour terms of AmeriCorps service in an 8 ½ month commitment, totaling 1,350 hours.
40 hour weeks Monday-Friday, hours will vary by season and project.
Overnight trips may be required for trainings, conferences, and projects.
On Land Conservation: Complete physically demanding conservation projects on public lands throughout the Denver metro area. Project examples are trail construction and maintenance, fire mitigation, fencing, noxious weed removal, wildlife habitat improvements and public land maintenance and clean-up.
Mile High Youth Corps: Provide logistics support including but not limited to, building, vehicle and tool maintenance.
Trainings: Wilderness First Aid/CPR, Leave No TraceTM outdoor ethics, Pesticide Application, hands-on technical training related to all projects, facilitation and public speaking, peer mentoring, extensive leadership development, and the option to earn S-212 chainsaw equivalency certification (required for Sawyers).
Student loan forbearance: Possible through the National Service Trust on qualifying federal government student loans.
Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving at MHYC for sixty days. Member share of health insurance premium is $80 per month.
Members serve as role models and promote volunteerism and community service across the organization.
Trainings: Fully participate in and provide leadership for educational activities, including environmental education, civic engagement, healthy living, and social justice, for up to four hours a week in the field.
Projects: Serve as Assistant Crew Leaders on Summer of Service crews and Co-Crew Leaders on Fall Forestry crews. Crews are comprised of 8-10 18-24 year olds from diverse backgrounds.
- Between 19-24 years old and eligible to legally serve in the United States. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- High School Diploma or equivalency required.
- Must be physically fit and capable of participating in intense physical labor including but not limited to: ability to lift 75 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions, hike 7 miles with a day-pack, able to conduct repetitive hand and arm motions, and able to maneuver in tight spaces, including bending and kneeling.
- Able to commit to the entire term of service, April 3-December 15.
- Ability to effectively serve with a diverse group of peers, staff, community members, and project partners.
- Valid driver license with insurable driving record preferred.
- This position may have access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service background check which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-service drug screen required.
- Must not engage in any prohibited activities listed in the AmeriCorps member service agreement and must adhere to rules and regulations specified in the MHYC handbook.
- Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality service, installations, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
- This position reports to the Senior Crew Supervisor: Conservation.
How to Apply:
Visit our website at www.milehighyouthcorps.org and click “Apply Now”. Or visit us in person at 1801 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303.433.1206 ext.221.
Mile High Youth Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Mile High Youth Corps is committed to the inclusion of members with all levels of ability. Reasonable accommodations are available upon request. This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or, in most instances, religion.