Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Lead Educator/ Deckhand
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, February 27, 2017, 5:00pm
Website:Lead Educator/ Deckhand
Deep Green Wilderness, an environmental education organization based out of Seattle that provides marine science and sailing expeditions in the San Juan Islands and British Columbia for junior high, high school and adults is seeking a Lead Educator/ Deckhand for the 2017 season onboard s/v Orion. The position begins March 31 and continues through Fall 2017.
Duties include but are not limited to
- Work with the Captain and Education Director to create and execute science curriculum
- Teach lessons on ecology, oceanography, marine biology, conservation and many other subjects to a diverse group of students from 6th grade to adults.
- Assist with sailing lessons as needed by Chief Mate
- Provide direction and motivation to our students for their individual research projects
- All Deckhand duties including small boat handling, sailing, maintenance, cleaning, risk management, etc.
- Work with the students on all tasks and activities; cooking, cleaning, games, shore excursions etc.
- Work with students to keep our sampling equipment in good working order
- Work with students to keep “Science Log” with relevant data from the cruise.
- Work with Captain and Chief Mate to guide onboard discussions about environmental policy
- Teach lessons to adults and/or families during adult programs
- Serve as Deckhand for all non-education charter sails.
- Assist with film production underway and while onshore.
- Assist with pre and post trip office work including program evaluations, trip planning, etc.
- Assist with fundraising efforts including grant writing
The ideal Applicant will have
- A degree in Marine Biology, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science or a related field Graduate degree preferred but not required.
- A background in Environmental Education or classroom experience
- An enthusiastic interest in using a sailboat to engage the public and students with the natural world
- A willingness to spend long periods of time living onboard in close quarters with other crewmembers and students.
- An interest in Environmental and Marine Policy
- Some sailing experience is desirable but not required
- A valid US Passport
Position Start Date:
Friday, March 31, 2017
How to Apply:
Please read the full job description at http://www.deepgreenwilderness.com/employment.html
And then send a cover letter and application to Kevin Campion at email@example.com.