Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Mammal Husbandry/Eider Husbandry
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, July 9, 2017, 5:00pm
Position requirements: 30 hours per week in husbandry/10 hours per week supporting front of house operation of ticketing and interpretation.
The successful candidate will learn and gain practical hands on experience in basic animal care and husbandry techniques. This position provides the unique experience of being shared between Mammal Husbandry and Eider Husbandry. This will allow for a broad spectrum of experience in the animal field and encourage flexibility and diversification. Under guidance of Husbandry staff, the Fellow will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
- Make daily animal diets and perform routine cleaning of animal exhibits, kitchen and work areas.
- Make daily observations and note the health and condition of the collection animals– noting changes in behavior and appearance.
- Participate in daily educational talks and/or tours.
- Gain knowledge and experience in techniques and application of animal training.
- Maintain written and computerized records.
- Develop good communication skills.
- Assist in pool cleanings and water quality testing.
- Assist in current research projects and data collection.
- Assist at the ticketing counter or with Interpretation as assigned
- Applicants must be college graduates or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university with a background or coursework in a related field.
- Applicants must have the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction, have excellent communication skills, and good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available weekends, evenings and holidays.