Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Marine Mammal Husbandry
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, July 9, 2017, 5:00pm
Position requirements: 30 hours per week in husbandry/10 hours per week supporting front of house operation of ticketing and interpretation.
The successful candidate will learn and gain experience in basic animal care and husbandry techniques. The individual will assist in the daily care and maintenance of the Center’s mammal collection and mammal exhibit[s]. Under guidance of Mammal Husbandry staff, the Fellow will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
- Make daily animal diets and perform routine cleaning of animal exhibits, kitchen and work areas.
- Make daily observations and note the health and condition of the mammal collection– noting changes in behavior and appearance.
- Participate in daily educational talks and/or tours.
- Gain knowledge and experience in techniques and application of animal training.
- Maintain written and computerized records.
- Develop good communication skills.
- Assist in pool cleanings and water quality testing.
- Assist the mammal staff in current research projects and data collection.
- Unload periodic deliveries of frozen food and maintain the freezer along with other duties as assigned.
- Did we mention cleaning?
- General animal husbandry techniques and protocols.
- Work in an outdoor exhibit with moderate to strenuous physical activity, lifting up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to handle extreme cold and wet weather
- Assist at the ticketing counter or with Interpretation as assigned
- Applicants must be college graduates or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university with a background or coursework in a related field.
- Applicants must have the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction, have excellent communication skills, and good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available weekends, evenings and holidays.