Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Minnesota GreenCorps AmeriCorps Member
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, June 9, 2017, 5:00pm
Minnesota GreenCorps, an AmeriCorps program, is looking for motivated, enthusiastic new members to serve in communities statewide.
The mission of Minnesota GreenCorps is to preserve and protect Minnesota’s environment while training a new generation of environment professionals. Coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, MN GreenCorps places up to 40 members with local governments, nonprofit organizations, and educational institutions statewide to serve on projects in the areas of:
- Air Quality (includes energy conservation and green transportation)
- Waste Prevention and Recycling
- Green Infrastructure (includes local foods, stormwater management, and urban forestry)
- Living Green Outreach
MN GreenCorps service lasts for approximately 11 months, beginning mid-September 2017. MN GreenCorps members not only gain valuable skills and knowledge in the environmental field, they also get an opportunity to participate in service program and give back to communities in Minnesota.
Member activities include, but are not limited to: environmental education and outreach to people of all ages, mobilizing volunteers, implementing sustainability-related projects, measuring environmental results, field work, collaborating with local officials and community members, and much more.
In addition to gaining valuable skills and experience in the environmental field, members receive a living allowance of $1,148 per month, an offer of health insurance, and loan forbearance. Upon completing the program, participants receive an Education Award of up to $5,815, which can be used to pay off qualified student loans or to finance future education.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
- Must not have a criminal history that precludes the applicant’s ability to work with vulnerable populations, such as the youth and elderly.
- Must be able to make a commitment to complete 11 months of service.
A two-year Associate of Arts degree or completion of sophomore year in a four-year college program is required. A four-year college degree with a major or significant course work related to environmental protection, energy conservation and efficiency, urban planning, or other relevant aspect of the Minnesota GreenCorps program is preferred.
- Effective communication, presentation, and writing skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships
- Motivate others
- Demonstrate flexibility in work assignments
- Work both independently and with others
- Work with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to take the initiative in work assignments, organize them, and complete them
- Ability to research and organize information
- Functional computer skills: word processing, spreadsheet, database
Demonstrated interest and experience in environmental and sustainability issues, including energy and water conservation, air quality, urban planning, local foods, active transportation, environmental education, and a commitment to community and Minnesota GreenCorps service.
Some positions may require the ability to perform fieldwork, sometimes in adverse weather, traversing rough terrain, and occasionally moving equipment.
- Some positions may require driving, a valid driver’s license, and passing a driving record check administered by the MPCA.
- Some positions may require access to a personal vehicle for transportation and travel.
Performance Requirements and Expectations
- Travel to the Twin Cities for orientation (September 2017). Travel expenses may be paid/reimbursed by Minnesota GreenCorps.
- Travel to attend four quarterly trainings. Travel expenses may be paid/reimbursed by Minnesota GreenCorps.
- Submit an online timesheet to report service hours once every two weeks.
- Submit quarterly and final project progress reports.
- Complete 1,700 hours.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals are invited to send a Minnesota GreenCorps member application, along with a resume, to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m., Central Time on Friday, June 9, 2017.
Qualified candidates may be contacted for interviews beginning in June 2017. All selected members must attend a three-day orientation in the Twin Cities metro area in September.
The application materials are available at https://www.pca.state.mn.us/mngreencorps.