Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
A Mountain Classroom Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, November 26, 2016, 12:00am
- Work closely with schools to choose programming that meet their needs. Ensure instructional staff delivers quality programs to meet teachers’ expectations. Communicate with schools before, during, and after programs.
- Oversee logistical and educational aspects of the program.
- Work collaboratively with the AMCR team to hire, mentor, supervise, train and evaluate 18 seasonal instructors. Provide logistical and academic support for instructors. Perform field checks to provide feedback and ensure program quality.
- Implement risk management guidelines and ensure consistency across staff and program sites. Oversee the program’s emergency communication devices. Manage field evacuations and hospital visits when necessary.
- Evaluate program curricula and collaborate on its revision and development.
- Assist in the implementation of AMCR program evaluation.
- Represent A Mountain Classroom to the AMC community and to the public.
- Collaborate on program marketing. Attend promotional conferences and school visits.
- Teach AMCR programs, especially during the winter season. Fill in for sick or injured field instructors. Lead groups safely into the backcountry.
- Perform weekly on-call duties on a rotating basis with coworkers throughout the year.
- Work a flexible schedule with some evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental education or related field. 2-3 years previous experience as an outdoor/environmental educator. Some administrative and supervisory experience.
- Science education background. Previous backpacking experience and knowledge of the natural history of New England.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work creatively and constructively with others and contribute to a team environment.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends often with little prior notice.
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications. Wilderness First Responder preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to acquire DOT driving certification.
- Physical Requirements: Must be capable of safely traveling alone in the backcountry 3-5 miles during all seasons and weather conditions. Must be able to carry a backpack with up to 40+ pounds of equipment.
Benefits of working with the AMC:
The AMC offers a great benefits package! Here is a partial list that highlights some benefits offered for our regular full-time employees. Benefits may vary based on position.
Group Health Plan, 75 percent employer paid.
Group Life Insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
Long-Term Disability Insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
Vacation: four weeks accrued each year. Holidays: 13 paid holidays/year.
Use of AMC Facilities, free and discounted rates.
Free AMC membership.
How to Apply:
Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. The information should include three (3) professional references and your salary requirements. No phone calls, please.
Application deadline is November 25, 2016.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Join us!