Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
A Mountain Classroom Fall Educator
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Position: A Mountain Classroom Educator, Fall 2017
Location: White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire
Reports to: A Mountain Classroom Manager and Program Coordinators
August 20th through October 27th, with the possibility of extending the season further.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
A Mountain Classroom Educators are responsible, energetic people who are excited to share their knowledge and love of the outdoors with youth through our hiking-based education program. A Mountain Classroom typically serves Kindergarten-10th grade public, private, and home-schooled groups. Students participate in 1-5 day experiential programs based at Pinkham Notch, The Highland Center, Cardigan Lodge, facilities in NY, ME, NJ, the AMC’s backcountry huts, and in local schools and communities. Academic lessons on forest and watershed ecology, map and compass, geology, weather and climate, outdoor skills, community building and leadership development are integrated and taught in a hiking-based program. Visit us online: http://www.outdoors.org/classroom
• Ensuring the safety of 8 – 12 students in the backcountry.
• Preparing and teaching theme-based environmental education lessons.
• Creating and facilitating community building activities and experiences.
• Organizing and teaching 2-3 evening programs per week (7-8:30pm).
• Preparing students for outdoor experiences and teaching outdoor skills.
• Leading students on overnight hikes to AMC huts and facilities modeling Leave No Trace ethics.
• Performing logistics functions for the program including: issuing, collecting, cleaning and maintaining gear, preparing teaching supplies, driving vehicles, and organizing food.
• Maintaining professionalism through lesson planning, personal appearance and communication with other staff, chaperones and participants.
• The possibility of occasional weekend work, or leading adult participants.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Friendly, outgoing, flexible personality with a commitment and enthusiasm for teaching youth.
• Experience leading student/youth groups in the backcountry.
• Experiential teaching experience.
• Wilderness First-Aid & CPR certification (WFR preferred) or the ability to obtain certification prior to starting employment.
• B.A. or B.S. with course work in natural sciences, experiential education, or related field.
• Ability to carry a backpack daily, which holds teaching and emergency supplies (approximately 30-40 lbs.).
• Willingness to, at times, work long hours in mentally and physically demanding conditions.
• Satisfactory driving record and background check, as verified by state record check.
• 21+ years old and ability to obtain DOT medical clearance to drive vehicles strongly preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
$475 weekly salary, with an additional completion bonus of $25 per week worked. Seasonal benefits include AMC membership, use of AMC facilities, employee discounts, employee pro-deals with outdoor gear companies. Optional room and board is available for $45/week.
How to Apply:
Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. The information should include three (3) professional references. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Join us!