Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Native Plant Nursery Associate
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
- Caring for plants in the Nursery. Watering plants in containers and grounds. Weeding, pruning, and maintaining grounds within the Nursery. Recognizing and managing pests.
- Helping to maintain optimal inventory by asexual and sexual plant propagation and transplanting. Assist with seed collection, viability assessment, storage, and packaging.
- Keep inventory updated and plants correctly labeled.
- Keeping Nursery neat and orderly. Keep barns, office and grounds (including greenhouses and shade houses) organized and accessible, and clear of trash, detritus and debris
- Customer Service. Assisting and educating customers about gardening with native plants. Work with customers in the sales area and via phone and email to answer questions and write up sales orders.
- Promoting classes, sales, membership, and events to visitors. May be asked to participate in programs, classes, and events.
- Obsession with sanitization. Keep tools and equipment (including vehicles) maintained and sanitized to prevent the spread of pathogens (weed seed/fungal or bacterial vectors). Maintaining sanitizing stations at the entrance to the Nursery to prevent pathogens from entering Nursery grounds.
- Assist with maintenance, repair and installation of irrigation systems.
- Assist with maintenance, repair and installation of shade screen for greenhouse and shade structures.
- Supervising volunteers to assist with the above duties.
- Occasionally assist with landscape projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Nursery sales or comparable retail experience.
- Horticultural background preferred.
- Should be comfortable in a production and retail setting.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs on a regular basis (50 lbs occasionally).
- Ability to work outdoors, even in inclement weather (heat, cold, or rain).
- Should be energetic and personable.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems highly desirable.
- Knowledge of nursery production practices and CA native plants highly desirable
Schedule: Tuesday through Saturday, hours vary. Additional days as required. Must be able to work overtime during busy seasons. The position begins in October 2016.
How to Apply:
Apply: online at backtonatives.org – questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org